Finally quiet phono

So I was unhappy with hearing notable phono hum each time I changed a record.
I figured by flanging around the ground wire, closer and further to components and cabling, that the hum is induced feedback from the environment.
Took a length of silvered copper and with it grounded the TT straight to the RIGHT RCA terminal on the amp, phono pre bypassed. Screwed it tightly under the RCA locking connector.

The left channel turned out significantly noisier so I guess I have better ground through the right RCA ground… And yes, many decibel improvement. Given the new ground lead’s length I could even maneuver it into best relative position for least induced hum. Who’d have thought

I guess the phono pre in itself is happy with the bypass? Would have grounded into amp anyway. Why even lead it through it?

Are problems/solutions like this common? As in ground wire and environment inductance being main culprits to noise?

1 Like

What could be the reason that now when I crank the volume without signal, the phono noise is now mainly hiss, very little 50Hz?
Could be it always hissed, might just notice it now the mains hum is attenuated…

Should I next try grounding the table with an actually shielded cable?

Hiss is not induced via cable like hum is from stray magnetic fields. Hiss is noise from active circuitry and it was likely always present but you didn’t notice it over the hum. Experimenting with ground connections or cable shielding can directly affect level of hum but doesn’t normally have an impact on hiss.

How would standard coaxial wire perform as a ground wire?

Okay it performs extremely poorly. I guess the aluminum + copper shield is passively of no value as a shield. How could I externally ground the shield? Might it protect from inductance?
Or just a bad idea?