Getting Oppo DSD Output to the Direct Stream Dac

For info on Oppomod card installation, see my post in another forum HERE:
https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?56087-Hey-guess-what-I�m-about-to-do-Major-Oppo-mods&p=1003197#post1003197

Hopefully helpful! :slight_smile:

Any idea on how this compares to a ripped CD playing through a dedicated music server?

Hi
I designed and sold as a business dedicated audio servers running tweaked Windows/Jriver for a few years so have some perspective.

A modded Oppo over i2s with linear psu is the kind of quality I always strove for tweaking buffer values, upsampling methods and such.

For further reference I have a DS Bridge II and prefer the Oppo.

Excellent. Thanks much for the information.

Just got the Oppomod I2S board today. It’s smaller than I was thinking from the close up photos, roughly 2-1/2 x 3", and the screws and nuts are small (threaded holders). Have to see how well they hold in the 203’s slats. Ribbon included. Concerning power, the board has a diagram for three pin-style switches. SW1 is external vs. internal power, which with proper placement (1-2) would hope solves the power problem re the DS. SW2 is 103 vs. 203 (it does) SW3 is JAVS vs. PS (Audio), i.e., which dac I2S is set up to use.

Have you tried the SW1 jumper and checked the Pin 18 display flashing issue Highstream?

Checked mine and SW1 is set 2-3 correctly, and get the pin 18 display flashing issue.

How did you blank off pin 18 exactly?

Many thanks. :slight_smile:

As I understand it, External/Internal in this case refers to whether or not you want 5v from the board (internal) or from the dac alone (external). On that basis, the Oppomod board SW1 should be set to 1-2 external position. With that setting, there was no dac screen flash. With 2-3 there was. My testing was done with HDMI cables where pin 18 was uncovered.

Just saw your reply elsewhere too, many thanks for the info.

So pin 1-2 is recommended?
Sounds as though from Ted Smiths comments in another thread the sharing 5v between board and dac negates some benefit of i2s, so will be good to swap jumper to 1-2 as you have done.

You memtioned sound differences between the two positions?
You prefer 1-2 internal…sound better to you?

Great information, many many thanks.

Well, of course you have to pick your preferred sound. I prefer the more focused sound of the single 5v feed. Ted provided a reason why that might be. Plus, I’m interested in comparing I2S as it’s supposed to be with coax.

Me too.
End game is the best connection between Oppo and DS.
Appreciate your help, really good stuff.

Will swap over to Pins 1-2

Thanks.

hi all i connected my oppo 103 via the ebay card to the PWD but no sound unless i switch the oppo to pcm won’t output dsd am i doing some thing wrong? and can the PWD 2 except a dsd signal?
thanks Mike

If you haven’t, compare your Oppo settings with the photos in post 115.

i did do that highstream but i think maybe the PWD can not do DSD

Oh, didn’t know that. https://forum.psaudio.com/search?q=pwd%20ds

Correct.

A technical question: Does the Oppo know which output is being used by a signal from the other end, the DS dac in this case? I ask because during the process of burning in the Oppomod card when I’m not otherwise listening, I typically turn off the dac after setting up repeat play and setting the dac to I2S input. With just an HDMI cable in use, I’ve assumed play would use the Oppomod card. However, if two output cables are in use, say HDMI and coax, then turn off the dac, does the Oppo continue to use the circuitry of the last dac input setting?

In general no. (Except possibly for the HDMI) the Oppo can’t tell which outputs are being used. In theory with HDMI there’s a protocol that allows the source and destination to agree on, say, a video resolution, but the DS doesn’t do the HDMI protocol dance - so the Oppo can’t tell if there’s a DS out there…

Well, then is the Oppo feeding every output and letting the other end choose? That makes it easy for burnin.

With non HDMI outputs a player can’t even tell which outputs are connected. And with HDMI, the DS isn’t telling.

1 Like

Your phrasing leaves me confused about how a signal gets from Oppo to DS, and what the implications of this are for burn in of the Oppo, whether the Oppomod board, an HDMI cable connected to it, or a new coax cable connected run from Oppo to DS. I was thinking that you were in effect saying that all the Oppo’s ports have the signal and in terms of what I hear, that simply depends on which cables are hooked up from the Oppo and then which button I push on the DS remote.