Harbeth SuperHL5

Those look really nice. Probably going with the T/7is just based on dimensions. Still have time to decide.

Good luck with your renovations. Something to look forward to (and of course including the KEF’s)

1 Like

I hear the Kef Reference 1 at a local dealer last week. I will buy a pair.

2 Likes

I’m running a pair of Rythmik E15hp2 subs and really enjoy the tight bass response! No complaints.

1 Like

Amsco I have SHL5+ and they sound superb, most detailed speakers I’ve owned, perfect if you’re trying to learn a song each note is very distinguishable. David and Stevensegal have summed it up. Placement and toe in took a while to get right they are sensitive to this but this is unique to each room and ears. I added a Rel T9i because I have a large room, a T5i would have been enough. You may not need a sub. My MC275VI has plenty of power to drive them. Keep in mind they are very revealing, so sound quality will vary and be relative on what your sources are. Have fun…

1 Like

I love my Dynaudio Special 40’s I’ve paired them with a REL T7/i… Oh and FYI for REL owners the REL Bassline Blue is a great High-level Sub Cable

1 Like

Here I go again with Zu Audio. Their Soul Supremes are beautiful to look at, sound amazing, are easy to position, are highly efficient, will tear your house down if you wish, can come in any finish you can dream up, will sound sublime even at low, late night levels, are made by a little group of audio nuts like us, in Utah and they’ll let you listen and take them back if you don’t like them. And Sean Casey, the designer and Bigshot of the company will answer your questions directly if you’d like although Gerrit is a very good guy who knows a thing or two also. And pretty much like Paul, they’re not happy if you’re not happy.

Well I ended up buying KEF Reference 1s and stereo REL T/7i subs. It’s taking longer than I expected to get a nice soundstage. Since it was all part of a big house remodel, I upgraded my SLP-05 at the same time: caps, power supply…

I’m kind of leaning toward the Cary requiring the big break in time too. I changed so much I’m not sure but the sound is coming along nicely. I’m probably at 200 hours on the new set up. I still have my 1946 Nickel base Sylvania tubes ready to replace the more ordinary Russian tubes. Lots of tweaks to come yet. Thanks though.

I will admit to buying the KEFs on reputation and looks. They fit the style of our remodeled home and we’re an easy sell to my beautiful wife. Especially when compared to my previous 6’ tall, 200lbs Tyler Acoustics Speakers (which soundstaged HUGE).

I second Zu Audio… And I’ll also toss in Omega Loudspeakers who I believe are on the same level as Zu with proprietary driver and cabinet design. They specialize in high-efficiency loudspeakers that are dynamic, detailed, fast as hell!, and balanced with a heavy dose of tight, natural sounding bass. Louis from Omega is just like Sean of Zu. Couldn’t be more helpful.

Who made your crazy-ass speakers, Mr JeffofArabicabutnotArabia? I like unique.

1 Like

:joy: Crazy-ass and unique they are. They were designed and built by the legendary Dale Pitcher of Essence Audio. The model is Amethyst 10A Reference and there were only about 100 sets made back in the day. I like weird stuff! Don’t get me started on my IC’s. :wink:

Until I am ready to dump $60K+ into a set of loudspeakers, the merry-go-round has ended.

Ended? Aw you’re no fun.

Ha! You know darn well those words I uttered about the end game have no substance. :wink:

BUT… these speakers are really something special. I’ve been to a lot of high-end audio shows and all I can say is I am more than content!

A very nice feeling, indeed. But I’ll admit that with my essential system well in place, I still can’t stop tinkering. But i’ve always been that way, moving the timing two degrees, rejetting the carbs, advance the cams, retard the cams-----it never ends!

Could not agree more!! Every hobby I have ever engaged in… An uncanny level of OCD always accompanies. Not only does it never end - I really don’t want it to end! :grin:

Those Amethyst 10A are superb speakers. Did you have the Jasper amp and preamp from Essence as well. Was Dale available to set them up? As I recall the coherence on those when properly set-up was incredible.

I bought them from Ron Sheldon’s (of Crysoset.com) estate sale. Sad.

He had Dale come to his house and upgrade them to the “Reference” model 4 years ago. They really are special. Each loudspeaker is a stack of 5 transmission line enclosures (bass, mid-bass, midrange, tweeter, super tweeter). Based on the distance between your listening position and the bass module - as well as the distance from you ear to the ground - you time align each of the five separate enclosures based on five of these wave launch charts to ensure coherency.

I’m impressed you are familiar with this speaker system!

I do not have any of Dale Pitcher’s electronics. I am powering them with a Purity Audio Design preamp and two Canary Audio Grand Reference monoblocks.

Heard them, met Dale, then heard the Reference system all with his electronics. Jasper amp, and a preamp who’s name escapes me. I recall a meticulous setup. It’s been a long time but what I recall is they need a lot of current and are reala special with his electronics. He was working on a special subwoofer for them that supposedly went down to 16 hz. Not sure it was ever a commercial product. Capacitors are all hand made, replacing one can be a real B*&^ch!

Luckily all of the capacitors and crossover network gear is very new due to the recent Reference upgrade. The drivers he used in these Reference speakers are between 90-92dB efficiency, so not too difficult to drive. I am powering them with the most powerful 300B monoblocks on the planet (literally) and they really are divine. The sound is both massively REFINED and massively LARGE.

The bass drivers in his Reference system go down to 18Hz. My monoblocks have a frequency range of 8Hz-80,000Hz. Life is good! :grin:

If you ever get to hear them with the Jaspers… Well it was transformational. Designed specifically for the speaker.