Herbie's Tube Dampers - Which Kind for BHK tubes?

I just took a 12B4A and mounted it to my headphone amp and put both rings on. it’s hard to pick up on my iPhone, but the RXs are ever so slightly larger (calibrated eyeball!)

1 Like

@netspecht-2 - if I saw this measurement I would have went Rx-9 instead of SS-9. I can’t argue it… great risk reduction… bravo!

Can’t argue with numbers!

So this goes into the data bank… yes they fit both PRE and AMP.

2 Likes

It’s pretty close, the SS dampers are way softer too.

1 Like

I like the Rx-9s better. If I’m @drarifakhtar, I’m marching in the kid’s room and smashing her piggy bank.

See @drarifakhtar, got to watch what you ask for… thought you were getting off cheap with the “man it won’t fit… if it would fit, I’d buy them” excuse…

Check this off as solved, beaten to death… analyzed the hell out of…:nerd_face:

2 Likes

I might just order both and try it lol! That way if they don’t fit I’ll just use the ones that do fit. It isn’t a huge amount I suppose compared to some of the other stuff I’ve bought and they should last me a while.

1 Like

If you have extras, you can store them on your XLR plugs. The SS/RX-9s fit perfectly. Some folks actually use them to vibration dampen their XLR connections.

2 Likes

@drarifakhtar - I ripped the SS-9 out of my BHK250 when I upgraded… they get freq flyer mi…:smirk:

1 Like

Might also come in useful if I buy a tubed headphone amp and just useful to have spares I suppose.

2 Likes

I have up to seven tubes using the 9 series on different devices. Always nice to have spares.

2 Likes

What sonic qualities have you guys noticed on the BHK products with these dampeners? And where on the tube are you putting them?

I find that I’m not liking them. I put the about 1/3rd the way down and at the getter (top) of my tungsram pc88. I feel like they rob life from my tubes.

Anyone else use them with positive results?

Try setting them right on top of the tube without pushing them onto the glass envelope. I have tried this to great success on my preamp tubes. They will still damp the tube this way…but to a lesser extent…

I have found they can clean up the sound, increased tidiness. I suspect the little input tubes vibrate less and fewer microphonics are passed on as part of the signal.

I have not tried any form of damping in power tubes such as the KT88 or EL34.

Where do you place them on the tubes?

Like just laying them on top? And not pushing down at all?

What sonic qualities did you notice after this?

At the very top where the sides are first vertical.

Just as Elk commented, a smidge more clarity to the signal without some of the air being squashed out of the musical presentation.

1 Like