Holo Audio: one of the best dacs ever? J Atkinson, H Reichert, S Deckert, M Lavorgna, GoldenSound, D Abramson and the Stereophile reviewers think so. Stereophile A+ and POY 2020

There-in lies the challenge looking to upgrade right now. Current system is Pass Labs Aleph30, Magnepan 1.6QR speakers, Mogami wires, and an OPPO Sonica DAC.

The listening room was professionally analyzed and acoustically treated by GIK Acoustics.

Both the room and equipment exceed the performance of the (actually pretty darn good) Sonica DAC.

I auditioned a DirectStream DAC last year a friend owned with the Windom firmware. It was definitely a whole level above a good ESS Sabre chip DAC like the Sonica.

$5K is my limit. I do have a couple of quality audio prices to sell or trade to off-set going higher, but over current MSRP with an Ethernet connection would be a challenge. Iā€™d really like to go PS Audio, and appreciate being American designed and made; plus Paulā€™s attitude towards his customers seems genuine and terrific. Transparency is a big plus.

Itā€™s difficult to stare into an information vacuum of ā€œwhen and how muchā€ for the new mkII product. With supply shortages are we looking at next year sometime? Who knows the price? Iā€™d be OK waiting if I knew the mkII was $ obtainable, but kick myself for standing by for 6 months without any DAC upgrade only find MkII unavailable or priced out of reach.

Hard to dispute @tedsmith is a hifi rockstar.

As Iā€™ve written earlier, Iā€™d be happy with the current mk1 product, but resale is already starting to slip and likely slip a lot more as we move closer to the mkII introduction. If I were rich, I wouldnā€™t care.

3 Likes

Itā€™s all so relative and ā€œyour mileage may vary.ā€ I have an Oppo UDP-205 AND a DSD. The DSD I consider twice as great sounding as the Oppo or more. ASVā€™s opinions thus seem ridiculous to me!

Itā€™s hard to make any judgments without hearing the devices themselves. . . . Which is a big hurdle for many. Luckily for me budget is just not there for sampling other DACs and buying a new one; as a result the fact that I am very happy with my DSD and DMP combo is a very satisfying one.

2 Likes

Absolutely!!

Ted is a demigod. If he can solve the parts supply problem, he will elevate himself to status of god.

Careful there nowā€¦donā€™t want a lightning bolt to
come down and zap himā€¦ :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Ted has some work still ahead of himā€¦

1 Like

Ted has a ton of work ahead. And I have a ton of great listening ahead!

3 Likes

Yepā€¦but not a demigodā€¦

Indeed !

My friend says heā€™s gotten over the 500 hrs. on his May and we arranged for him to bring it over this coming Monday afternoon to compare it to my modified DS. He also wants to check out my PST and Esoteric. Weā€™ll see what happens with this May finally.

4 Likes

You will finally hear why John A, Herb R, Mike L, S Deckert etc have been raving about it. Prepare your credit card :grin:.

1 Like

Not only me, my brother will be here also with his credit card ready.

1 Like

Like for the PST, resistance is futile :grin:.

1 Like

The Beeswax fuse took the PST to another level. My DS also has a Beeswax fuse installed. Does the May have a fuse?

2 Likes

From the Kitsune web site:

1. Fuse is upgraded with world class Red Nano fuse with gold/silver and graphene and quartz filtering materials. Only KTE Model
2 Likes

Sounds interesting. Looking forward to hearing your opinion.

2 Likes

Agree, canā€™t wait to read of the hearing impression comparing Halo to DSC modded.

1 Like

Clifton, by the way, what does your friend think about his May? What did it replace?

My friendā€™s speakers are broken and are in the process of finding new ones so he is just getting the May ready for the occasion. This is his first venture into hi end digital so no previous DACs. He had a pretty high end analog rig before but sold it and decided to concentrate on streaming hence the Lumin Mini. The May is his first DAC.

2 Likes

Halo Audioā€™s website is pretty atrocious. They have both the Spring 3 and May without much explanation of the differences. If I did not read this forum thread It would be challenging to know the differences in version per model.

That said it did not look like they have an audition period? Any insight?

2 Likes

Though there are glowing reviews by ownersā€¦

It is non the less caveat emptorā€¦buyer assumes the risk of purchaseā€¦

Best wishes yā€™allā€¦