Holo Audio: one of the best dacs ever? J Atkinson, H Reichert, S Deckert, M Lavorgna, GoldenSound, D Abramson and the Stereophile reviewers think so. Stereophile A+ and POY 2020

No audition period

2 Likes

Correct. But resale value should not be very far from what you paid.
I canā€™t say the same for my DSD Snr, which is not sold yet, at 43% of current MSRP, even with the latest FPGA update. So much for the end of obsolescence.

DirectStream DAC

It is the first choice of thousands of critical listeners worldwide, and with its ability to accept our free Operating System upgrades, will never become obsolete.

1 Like

You might check with TMR. They are pretty fair in their offers and its a done deal including shipping costs.

3 Likes

There is nothing wrong with the Kitsune website as the difference with between the three levels are fully explained if you take the time to read the whole description. Plus if you canā€™t tell the difference between a two box DAC and a single box DAC then there is not much they could do for you in terms of explanation. If you are really interested in their products I would suggest you contact the people on the forum who have actually owned both a HOLO and the DS and ignore the noise from those that donā€™t as they canā€™t seem to help themselves from constantly interjecting themselves into a topic they know nothing about.

4 Likes

Thanks @Baldy, very nice of you and appreciated. Unfortunately, I am in Europe right now ā€¦

Dang it. I didnā€™t know (or didnā€™t remember) that. Hopefully you will find a local buyer then.
I think they must have buyers waiting in the wings as I have sold several pieces to them and only saw one of them come up on the website.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a great price for 3 BHK 300ā€™sā€¦at roughly 60% off. PSAā€™s resale value has never been its strong point. Lower your price and it will saleā€¦:+1:

1 Like

Thanks @mark-d for your advice, much appreciated.

When I sold my DS dac almost a ā€œyearā€ ago the best offer I could get was $2,800.00ā€¦Boom! bye bye DSā€¦

2 Likes

What did you replace it with ?

Luxman D10X

1 Like

Mark-d out of curiosity what aspect of the DS motivated your selling it?

And how do you like your new Luxman D10X ? could you please provide so of your impressions?

Best wishes

1 Like

Coincidentally almost exactly a year ago Mark gave his impressions of the Luxman here:

4 Likes

Thanks Lonson

1 Like

Hi Davidaā€¦my follow up that Lonson posted pretty much sums up my take on the D10Xā€¦Only nowā€¦ almost one year laterā€¦ it even sounds better with all the burn in time. It still excites me every time I sit down and listen to it!

As far as selling the DSā€¦I wanted to down size some so I sold off the DMP and DS for a one box solutionā€¦As much as I ā€œlikedā€ the DS/DMPā€¦I ā€œloveā€ the Luxman!

2 Likes

mark-d thank you for taking the time to reply and shareā€¦

I did read the linked post Lonson put up for meā€¦

Thanks guysā€¦

1 Like

Let us know about your blind AB when you have a chance, goblue, itā€™s an interesting experience.

2 Likes

Hey Davida, I experimented a bit today with SW and MW on my P20.

First of all, the P20 rocks, itā€™s amazing :star_struck:.

As far as settings, I have to agree with Paul.
Once again, he is right ā€¦
Anyway, in my system, MW 6 is the way to go : more 3D, more air, more like the live event.
YMMV, etc.

2 Likes

Hey Phil you gave it a goā€¦sorry it didnā€™t show up with your system.
It really is a ymmv type of thingā€¦

Thanks for giving it a go!!!
And yes the P20 rocks!!!

Best wishes

1 Like

Yes I tried sine, mw4 and mw6, and in the end, I preferred mw6.

Paul McG has always advised MW 6, did you know that ?

Be well, friend, and enjoy the music :notes: ā€¦

Whatā€™s your favorite setting on your power plant ?

3 Likes