How do you purchase your music downloads?

Along with the time and place first heard. One of my fav’s is Deep Purple Machine Head (originally heard on 8-track tape) which is a horrible recording but still one of my absolute all time favorites.

2 Likes

“Musicality”, which is often in the ear of the beholder, also matters - a lot.

2 Likes

I am fond of “Turn the Page” by Bob Seger to this day, because I wore out a cassette tape of Live Bullet and this song back in the 80’s.

I don’t think the fidelity on the Jensen Triaxial speakers in the back of my cousin’s Ford Fiesta was very good back in the day.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

But it didn’t matter. The experience is still memorable a lifetime later.

3 Likes

Concerning FLAC…

I agree, although there’s still a minor advantage to using the FLAC format and that is with the metadata. With WAV files at least, you’re metadata formatting flexibility is limited but if you use FLAC, even with compression set to zero, you can utilize the Ogg-Vorbis format for metadata which can be dangerously flexible. :smirk: But that’s another story…

2 Likes

Yes! Helps! Thank you.
But not sure that I got the a direct answer that I was looking for about recording resolution.
Please allow me to try again?

If a performance was recorded/mastered at DSD 64, and higher DSD versions are also available, is there any reason to get the DSD 128 or higher version?
Or, is the highest native resolution the best that the sound/recording can get?

I can assume that if recorded at DSD 128, and playing back at DSD 64, there is some loss to the quality?

FLAC To DSD. Based on the numbers that you have shared for the DSD sample rates, and I do understand that FLAC is a compression scheme, if the option exists to buy FLAC or DSD, is there a resolution that FLAC is better than DSD 64, or higher, or is DSD, usually the better option?

Then, is there an easy (cheap) software for the home user to convert DSD to less bulky and more universal file formats for, let’s say, mobile playback, assuming that the source seller does not offer them?

I realize that I am asking for a DSD/resolution primer, so if there are links to get this info, please do share. :slight_smile:

Also, please let us know that the 8-track player has been relegated to the dustbin of time?
Do you still listen to Deep Purple Machine Head and if so, how?

Thanks again!

Yes! Of course! Resolution and the rest of it do not matter if you do not love the music that you are listening to.

So let me ask this… Do you still listen to BS and TSBB, today? If yes, how?
I assume that the Jensen’s in the Fiesta are long gone? :smiley:

Do you have the CD or have you purchased from HDT a high-res digital copy?

If you buy the highest resolution that your DAC can natively play (and dont mind spending the extra money) may get better SQ but it is so system dependent that you may not notice ant difference at all. You will always be safe buying the resolution the recording was made in.

The Hi Def Tape Transfers are a different story. He (and others?) are recording directly from master tape to DSD so there has never been a sample rate conversion to the file. This is best case for any format. Direct from master tape to digital.

FLAC is just the file size reduction software format. FLAC can be used for any format (16/44, 24/192, DSD64, etc) and will reduce the file size accordingly for shorter download times or taking up less room on local drives. FLAC compression can be high (level 8) or low (level 0) and decompression is still lossless although the higher numbers work the computer or server processor harder when decompressing the file. I normally use level 5 but for no particular reason other than the dBpoweramp package recommends it as a good balance between speed and processing power needed.

I use the dBpoweramp suite of products for music rips. I dont have a need to change formats but the package has a module that will do so.

The 8-track player has been gone since about 1974 or so. :slight_smile:

I have a ripped copy of a CD I had and also a digital version from HD Tracks. Both sound crappy and I still love them.

Here’s a few links for your homework:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=dsd+file+format#ip=1

3 Likes

Seger’s band was relatively local to me and although I never saw them in concert (in the late '70’s) I worked with a couple of guys that were band members when they were still doing covers in bars around the Ann Arbor area. Time sure has a way of hauling butt.

2 Likes

Here you go, and it is free (Mac and Linux only):

https://www.sonore.us/dsd2flac.html

1 Like

AIFF is WAV with tons of Metadata. It’s all I use when ripping my stuff. And it is the format I purchase if available. Some places now offer uncompressed FLAC. I accept that as well. (Look it up, it exists)

7 Likes

Me too…seemed to be the best format to default to, all things considered…

2 Likes

+1 for Bandcamp (the best music downloading site on the Internet IMO), though it is not always easy to find high-res tracks.

Bandcamp Fridays (which are the first Friday of each month) are the best days for getting money to artists/labels (avg. 93% of purchase price as opposed to ~82% on other days).

The next Bandcamp Friday is April 5th: https://isitbandcampfriday.com

5 Likes

Occasionally; and the Jensen’s/Fiesta are long ago relegated to some scrap heap.

Against the Wind is the only Seger album I own physically. I listen to it primarily from the AIFF file I ripped it to via JRiver Media Center.

When I have to hear Turn the Page, I stream it via Qobuz/Roon and turn it up. TTP has stood up well over time, IMO; and the Live Bullet Album recording was not too shabby back in the day.

Cheers.

2 Likes

But what about Bachmann Turner Overdrive? Any love for them?
I preferred the Guess Who.

3 Likes

You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet and Roll on Down the Highway still do it for me. The rest of the catalogue…not so much.

As for The Guess Who, hard to beat American Woman for straight up Rock N’ Roll from that era. By the way, Lenny Kravitz’ cover of American Woman is pretty darn good as well.

3 Likes

I prefer the Butthole Surfers version of American Woman.

Ya got me. This WILL be a new experience.

1 Like

Sea Ferring, the song before it is a fave. And if you haven’t heard “Moving To Florida” yet, get right on it!
(Don’t let anyone else hear it, they won’t understand you mindset)
Actually, just listen to Moving To Florida!

1 Like

All in all, not to my taste…but I enjoyed some of the cleverness (lyrical and musical) here and there…

Thanks.

1 Like