How many times can a vinyl record be played before it's time to buy it again new?

I did NOT know that, thank you, I wont do that anymore.

Luckily I haven’t done that with many records. I usually grab several and play through a deck.

I remember hearing the “don’t play a record right away again” but I certainly don’t remember it being 24 hours. Maybe an hour? Ahdunno. Urban myth?

I mean, how hot could those grooves get, really?

I remember a Michael Fremer video debunking the “they eventually wear out” claims, as he had some Beatles or Who album that he’d played a thousand times or some such and he said it still sounded great.

I hope they don’t wear out soon, as I buy a LOT of used vinyl!

i don’t remember the exact force of downward pressure a needlepoint creates, but i do remember that women used to wreck the floorings where they walked with Stiletto high heels…something like 10k psi downward force from the heels…before architects started to compensate…

that’s still a lot of HEAT from friction of stylus onto the vinyl surface…with potential cancelling memory effect/over-softening of the vinyl…or something to that end…when not enough time has past between playings…

the waiting time in between playings would allow the vinyl to recover…

or when you start seeing smoke or smelling vinyl… :thinking:

Surely this lark of 24 hours is rubbish - maybe written by someone on April 1st?.
Given that a record takes about 40 minutes to play both sides I have to believe that any heat has dissipated, so it’s safe to play it again (within seconds, not 24 hours).

3 Likes

Perhaps an “Auntie Enid bedtime story”…the late Enid Lumley of Stereophile mag.

However Pickering had an article on the dynamics of stylus tracking explaining the lateral g-forces
and speeds in mph in proportion to the size of the tip of the stylus…unbelievably high…and the impact forces when the stylus hits some dust in the groove…

If this were scaled up to automotive size…would be devastating…

Wish I could find the article…

Found an article on vinyl grooves magnified…
very revealing photos

Here we go:

1 Like

Electron microscope slow-motion video of vinyl lp
from youtube

1 Like

Another article,

Applied Microscopy.
The Microscopy of Vinyl Recordings.
A General Introduction

https://micrographia.com/projec/projapps/viny/viny0000.htm

Amazing stuff helps give light to the question “How many times can a vinyl record be played…?”

Have fun reading guys I sure am!

1 Like