Life at 80 to 90 is great (click bait title)

“Be great if Ted…could pitch in.”

Trying to remember what/which threads to refer you to, but Ted has gone into considerable detail on this in one discussion or another*. It was his input that got a lot of us started on this whole Thing (see Scumbag’s Original Post at the top).

Part of my problem was getting my head around the Volume Control on the DS DACs not being the same as volume controls I’d used my whole life prior. Or, for that matter, that a DAC HAD an effing volume control. Why would you Not Run it at nominal/full output (2V or whathaveyou) like every other DAC or CD player that came before?**

The answer (in a system with a pre, at any rate) is, both the Ability to turn it down, and Less Sonic Penalty in turning it down - and much More Happy Gain To Be Gained by turning up a good pre like the BHK. (Assuming neither needs to be turned up or down TOO far.)

• Warning: As my brother so aptly and humorously put it (with a grin), “How long does it take you when reading one of Ted’s posts before you don’t have Any Idea What He’s Talking About? 10 seconds?” Apologies, Ted ; )

** I know, not the first DAC with a volume control. I’ve had/heard others.