Links about acoustics, etc

New Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser is already placed even in a listening room in Roznov pod Radhostem, Czech Republic. The diffuser will soon be available for purchase. Several sizes are going to be offered: 1x1 m, 2x1 m and 3x2 m.

(RDacoustic)

1 Like

I’m a little late to this - any idea if this video is available with subtitles?

Damn! My youngest moved out! That means, I have a dedicated audio room. Going to start saving my pennies!

1 Like

love this. Nice Mad Men vibe to it.

1 Like

1 Like

really seems like the Eames Lounge Chair is the settee of choice for many audiophiles.

Had one yeaaaaars ago. I think it was a copy tho. Cheaper version.

Might have to invest in a new one again.

2 Likes

So just these lamps and came to think functional (in addition to sound :sweat_smile:) acoustics design.

Are there any good examples out there?

2 Likes

i believe i saw one of those at the playboy mansion

1 Like

Good 3-D quadratic DIY diffusor (after being painted):

http://www.pmerrecords.com/Diffusor.cfm

Note that this is necessarily heavy as the material must block/reflect sound (that thin plastic can’t). Note also that diffusors will only be effective down to where the depth of the diffusor matches the size of the sound waves based on frequency (7 inches = 1100 Hz). Most diffusor designs are more artistic than acoustical treatments.

The link is not working. Is it just me?

It is not just you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, after years of use appears to be no longer working. Each 18"x18" panel will weigh 23#. You’ll need (7) 8 ft long 2" x 2" stock, plywood, glue, and paint with a chop saw (for a professional result). Cut the 2" x 2" into 4 varying lengths (sorry don’t have length info but basically 1.5, 3.5, 5.5, and 7.5 inches), recommend painting before gluing up (suggest different color for each of length.

Layout first row in the following pattern of 0 (no 2" x 2"), 3, 3, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2, 3, 1, 2, 2; next row: 3, 0, 1, 2 3, 3, 3, 0, 4, 3, 1, 4; next row: 4, 1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, 2, 1, 3, 2, 2; next row: 1, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 4, 0, 1, 3, 3; next row: 2, 2, 1, 0, 3, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 1, 3; next row 3, 1, 3, 4, 1, 0, 1, 0, 3, 4, 3, 1; next row: 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 3, 2, 1, 3, 1, 3, 1; next row: 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 3, 2, 1, 3, 1, 3, 1; next row: 1, 3, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 2; and so on. Mount to wall using toggle bolts at the zero spaces.

I built a 3’x3’ 4 element Skyline diffuser based upon the PME Records design years ago. I solved the dilemma of how to finish all the exposed wooden blocks a different way. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: sanding and painting or varnishing that many blocks of wood just seemed like TOO MUCH WORK after cutting them all.

Were I to do this again, I would likely use BAD (Binary Amplitude Diffuser) scatter plates in front of 12" deep broadband “bass trap” panels across much of the back wall to achieve both diffusion and more low frequency modal control.

4 Likes

Nicely done! Much higher WAF! :smiley:

Thanks bro…

500 KG lol

1 Like

Well that was certainly A LOT OF WORK!! If you haven’t built one of these already, you can’t imagine how tedious cutting and prepping all those specific lengths of wood is - LOL! So how did you attach that to the wall securely and what is the wall made of Michael?

Calculate a Two-Dimensional Primitive Root Diffuser
http://www.oliverprime.com/prd/?fbclid=IwAR1UkLV_5PhLQ4YQogZ8OPgHSmVBAyUL6LWT9peoQvO34ciP-fhkosBz4Mc