M700s Are Awesome

Paul McGowan said

You would have to shelf mount on the rack like I do. They make standard rack shelves. There are no specific means of adding rack ears on the M700s.

Ok. That isn’t a big deal, but not as preferable. I have an idea for rackshelf mtg that might be pretty sleek with the M700/S300 units. Thank you, sir!

1BlinkGone said

amgradmd thank you for your input and experience with the M700’s…very nice. I’ve been toying with all M700’s just for the sheer headroom and ummph all the way around but not certain I will…I may opt for a couple of S300’s for the surround duties. How is the noise floor with your system? Non-existent as I suspect? Thank you!

You’re very welcome! The crazy thing about the Stellar amps is that they are so powerful and delicate at the same time with incredible accuracy. They simply portray what the source material is. And as to your last question, what noise floor?? In all seriousness, the noise floor is nonexistent to my ears. Keep in ming mine are fed by my P10 which does most of the heavy lifting with regard to lowering the noise floor.

amgradmd said

You’re very welcome! The crazy thing about the Stellar amps is that they are so powerful and delicate at the same time with incredible accuracy. They simply portray what the source material is. And as to your last question, what noise floor?? In all seriousness, the noise floor is nonexistent to my ears. Keep in ming mine are fed by my P10 which does most of the heavy lifting with regard to lowering the noise floor.

amgradmd said

Thanks for the kind note. Indeed. The Stellars are some of the best amps we’ve ever built.

Perhaps this has been asked before, but if not it begs the question, how do the M700’s compare to the BHK amps in terms of sound quality? Clearly they (BHK) cost considerably more, weigh considerably more, and of course they have the tube input stage which does had its own spice into the mix.

One reviewer went so far as to say, “this is the future” regarding the sound quality and engineering of these M700 amps. A bold statement indeed.

Would love to hear feedback about a comparison of the two different amps. I really like their looks, small size and weight, and dramatically reduced electrical needs compared to large Class A or A/B amps but can they really compete sonically. If so then why do audio engineers even fool with large heat generating linear power supplies and all the foibles that go along with them?

Thanks

amgradmd said

…And as to your last question, what noise floor?? In all seriousness, the noise floor is nonexistent to my ears. Keep in ming mine are fed by my P10 which does most of the heavy lifting with regard to lowering the noise floor.

A seemingly rhetorical question I just had to ask, as you own these amps...I have indeed read one review which stated they were very quiet. Your report is very reassuring in that matter. I'm planning two systems- one for ht/casual listening and another for serious 2 channel music in another room, and in both cases that noise floor is very important to me that whatever source material, it comes from a black background of nothingness, aside from whatever ambient noise may be in the room. The P10 (and forthcoming P20) are on my short list as well. Thanks again!!

The Stellars are indeed amazing. Large Class A/B amps are better, but not night and day. Think of the M700s are covering the first 90% of sound quality and the BHK amps covering the remaining 10% that the M700s cannot achieve. It is the last 10% where 90% of the finishing touches comes into play. Achieving that last bit isn’t for everyone, but for those who have the speakers that lust for it and the desire for the best, the BHKs are worth every penny.

Paul - Thanks so much for this post, it clearly puts your amplifier’s performance in perspective. You set an example in the high end audio marketplace with your transparency and it is much appreciated!

My pleasure!

Paul, I concur with Audio.bill, thanks for being so candid answering my somewhat loaded question. Do you think eventually these Class D amps will ever become as fruitful sonically as Class A, A/B?

Its been a long while since I have heard a Class D, and back in those days I didn’t care for it at least with my Genesis 6.1 speakers at the time. But as you know those speakers are quite revealing.

I do find it curious however that with some companies Class D amp design the chassis are quite large with some, yet others such as the M700’s are very petite by comparison. One would think all Class D by nature would be much smaller chassis designs.

Thanks again.

BTW, according to John Atkinson, Stereophile will have a review of the Stellar M700s in their February issue. Looking forward to that!

Class D amplifiers are fundamentally different than AB amps and it’s unlikely they will ever sound the same. There are those that suggest class D sounds better but in my experience, they are better suited in some areas than others. In terms of linearity, Class Ds are better than ABs. DSs are ruler flat and linear as they can be up to any level. Class Ds typically are better in the lower frequencies, from say 500Hz and down than Class ABs.

But ABs have always been better on the upper frequencies including the all-important midrange and tweeter areas. Again, not night and day and there’s much we can do - as you see in Stellar.

I just can’t imagine how they’ll ever trounce AB completely but then…so many things I could never imagine have actually come true. Just look at our political situation. Who’da thunk?

Hi Paul,

Yes I totally agree with your comments.

Cheers, Ian

I just find it hard to believe the M700 is that good. If the sound quality is really 90% of the BHK like Paul said then it is truly amazing. Perhaps that’s what I will use in the near future since the BHK is super heavy to move around. I would give it a serious audition when I get a chance. Also looking forward to the stereophile review.

All good info Paul. Initially when when Class D came about to the best of my knowledge they were only used for subwoofer amps, for the very reason you comment regarding mid range and treble issues. It appears they have come a long way in recent years to addressing even those areas of the frequency response.

Taking the concept of linearity, its my understanding, this is one of the great things about tube equipment by their nature they are linear and have no negative feedback both positive things… coming from a person who is not an EE. If I recall correctly reading comments from Mr King himself this was one of the reasons for including a tube input stage into the BHK amps.

Has anyone ever tried this with Class D amps, or perhaps due to their different nature its just not possible. Granted this might loose some efficiency while creating heat, but it would be an interesting combination if possible.

Here is a small user review from England: http://www.iglooaudio.co.uk/ps-audio-stellar-m700.html

Interesting how the BHK 300 vs Stellar M700 subject has come up here, as i truly have been looking closely at both models, with two BHK 300’s likely getting duty for a new 2-channel listening room.

Since the BHK is likely overkill and more heat than I want generated for a particular HT/multi-channel environment, I started looking at the M700 after first overlooking them. And then looking closer. And closer. In truth I have heard/experienced neither model personally…yet.

After shopping BelCanto, NAD (2 M22’s, bridged), ATI 54X series, Classe’ Sigma Mono, and a few others of this new genre of amplification for a particular HT application and comparing them to the Stellar series, my gut feeling is pretty strong about the Stellar M700… and I can’t qualify that with anything but gut feeling at this point.

Reading the accolades of the BHK 300, and then seeing Paul himself stating right here on this post 23 of this thread regarding the m700’s:

“Thanks for the kind note. Indeed. The Stellars are some of the best amps we’ve ever built.”

That alone has further pushed me down the path towards acquisition of them. Soon.

Apologies to OP for thread hijacking!

oneartist said

Here is a small user review from England: PS Audio Stellar M700 Mono Power Amplifier - Igloo Audio

Haha - that review is actually mine!

I stand by it - the M700s are fantastic and I’m very happy with them. Igloo Audio here in the UK are highly recommended too as they were great.

Cheers,

Alan

Have been listing to the m700’s w/gain cell dac for about 1 1/2 weeks now…wow…cant believe how they literally woke up the magnepan 1.7s!!!

I guess i wasn’t doing the 1.7’s justice with the ARC vsi60; I’m hearing details I have not heard before in some of my favorite cd’s I know very well.

Paul McGowan said

You would have to shelf mount on the rack like I do. They make standard rack shelves. There are no specific means of adding rack ears on the M700s.

You could send a M700 chassis to Middle Atlantic and they will add a rack mount for it to their custom rackshelf library. Same as they did for Directsream and other PS Audio devices.

Excellent advice. This is the option I’m thinking of when we acquire the M700’s. I know a few peeps who have gone to MA for the same reasons (regarding different amps from different companies) and MA had a simple, elegant solution. Nice faceplate over/surrounding the component in the rackshelf. Very nice.