Mac Mini doesn't work with PS Audio DirectStream DAC

This is why I was a bit hopeful that the Matrix might be a possible solution, connecting a USB source by SPDIF or I2S to the DAC.

What confuses me is your statement:

What USB source works at the dealer?

1 Like

That I’m afraid is the confusing aspect here. It works at the dealer with Windows, but not in my system at my house.

The dealer unfortunately lives in another city far away, so he cannot come to my house to assess.

But I’ve explained fully to PS Audio what my system is. It is very basic. PS Audio are scratching their heads.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the advice and comments. I’m waiting for further feedback from the dealer and PS Audio.

This is very confusing. And an indication there is nothing wrong with the PS Audio DAC you have, but something wrong with your setup.

1 Like

The burning question is, what could be wrong in my setup, if it is that? I’ve fully explained my system setup to PS Audio and the dealer and they can’t explain it. And the Cary Audio and Chord Qutest DACs worked perfectly fine in my system with no USB issues. So we are all at a complete loss as to what is going on. Equipment must work in your system, otherwise it must go.

Given it works at your dealer the problem has to do with your Mac Mini, perhaps the USB driver and/or the specific USB cable.

Have you tried other USB cable as suggested by others? Make certain it is USB certified.

1 Like

Does the DAC indicate that it recognizes a handshake with the computers? You’ll know by the little green dot in the middle of the screen?

The USB cable you have worked with the Cary and Chord, but it’s definitely worth trying a different one if you haven’t already.

1 Like

@jamesh, based on your comment regarding a different USB cable, in your experience has the DSD DAC USB input been sensitive to the USB cable input? I can say at one time I was using a MacMini into the DSD with a WireWorld Platinum 7 USB, which can be a pricey experiment, even at used pricing.

I suggest not worrying about trying an expensive/fancy cable. Rather, try a USB cable certified to meet USB specs. It will have the certification logo.

index

2 Likes

Eh, I wouldn’t say it’s more sensitive than other DACs I have experience with. I agree with Elk, trying out a cheap, certified USB cable is what I’d try first. I use a nice Curious 1M USB cable from my Mac to DSJ and works flawlessly.

A Belden Gold would be a good choice for a starter: John Atkinson’s, Stereophile Publisher, go to USB cable. I had a Curious and personally can’t recommend it at the price based on personal preference. I moved up to the WWP7, major step up.

Belkin Gold USB

Mine was a hand me down which I ain’t complaining about :grin:

1 Like

I would do as @Vmax suggest and forget about the USB on the DS. I2s sounds so much better on the DS.

2 Likes

Yes; my CD transport is connected to the DS DAC by I2S. The I2S sound is the ultimate digital interface and cannot be beaten.

But @Elk has expressed reservations about whether the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 will work if the USB does not work with the DSD directly.

So, I’m just not sure, and the Matrix is pricey. What to do??

1 Like

Thank you to all for your advice. I have tried various USB cables, including the Curious USB cable 1m, the AudioQuest Pearl USB cable 1.5m and a cheaper certified USB cable which I purchased from a computer store. I wish it was so simple as a problem with the USB cable; but that avenue has been fully explored virtually from the start.

1 Like

Nuts. This appeared to be a good path to try.

1 Like

I know @Elk. Thanks. It sounds so weird. Anyway, I’m waiting for further communication from PS Audio and the dealer.

What is your reason for being skeptical about the Matrix suggestion - cutting out a direct USB connection with the DAC?

It may work fine. It does not hurt to try, as long as you can return the unit if it does not.

I had some strange usb problems too when I loaded earlier firmwares. You may have so called “bad load” with your dac. I suggest you to try load any earlier FW and keep only your usb cable connected during load so your dac recognises it,disconnect your i2s cable always just to be sure it won´t disrupt loading. Try to get sound with any older FW,and if it works,then load Sunlight back. This worked for me…and no usb problems since.

2 Likes

Yes, but it comes down to managing multiple bboxes, cables and all that entails. It is a personal choice to a degree. Not knockin’ the suggestion, just choose not to go down that path.