Mac Mini doesn't work with PS Audio DirectStream DAC

What did the team have you test to determine it was the board?

PS Audio is not replacing the DS DAC. I have to wait approximately 3 weeks for the new board to be shipped by PS Audio to South Africa and then for an authorized local technician under the auspices of the local distributor to install it and then test the DAC.

This really sucks, as I sit now without a DAC that is only 7 months old. How is this possible on such a high-end product?

I think it is going to be bye-bye PS Audio.

It is more than 6 weeks later, and the matter has not been solved. PS Audio replaced the DS DAC with a new DS, but the new DS is giving the same problem with 2 Macs and 2 Windows machines. As a result, the 2nd DS DAC has been returned to the dealer to try and sort out with PS Audio, and again I’m now sitting without music. The problem is that the old DAC works on USB with the dealer, but not in my system in my house. How is that possible, considering that I’ve explained to PS Audio what my setup is and they have even done remote access on my pc’s connected to the DS DAC to work on settings, but to no avail? Anyway, I have little faith that this problem will be solved. Obtaining a refund is proving difficult - but the DAC must be fully operational in my system and must do what the manual says it can do. Such a sad state of affairs.

Clearly there is something different about your system, but I cannot hazard a guess as to what it might be. I can however understand your frustration.

I hope you come up with a resolution which works for you, whether it be with the DS DAC or another product.

2 Likes

Thank you. Yes, it remains a complete mystery, and may remain that way: PS Audio say that this is unheard of, and the dealer has no answer either. So it’s a stalemate. If I do not get a refund, which seems unlikely, I will have to be patient and wait until the new year when I will seek to dispose of the PS Audio and get another reference DAC that is fully operational. It’s sad because PS Audio is highly regarded and makes good products.

So my understanding is that your dealer replaced the DAC, and the original DAC that they replaced works at the dealer’s location and equipment? If this is the case, then I would hazard to guess that there is something wrong up-stream of the DAC.

I apologize for not going back up the thread, but you did try different USB cables? Making sure none were too long? Also, have you ever heard any sound when using either the old or new DAC?

The chances of getting two faulty DACs is next to impossible. I am certain there is something else going on.

2 Likes

I had an experience where having equipment on different power phases of the house induced noise into the ground line that disrupted a USB digital connection.

It’s worth trying to put all your equipment that connects to each other via ground onto one power strip and outlet to rule out ground issues.

Further, remove (disconnect power and interconnect) everything except your primary audio chain to the computer and any power conditioning temporarily to remove variables. This could be power conditioning distributors or regenerators.

Good luck. I hope you figure it out. It doesn’t sound like a PSA specific issue IMHO given you’ve had two different units exhibit the same issue.

I’m sure you’ve done this, but try a different, simple USB cable if you haven’t already.

3 Likes

Are you using SPDIF optical cables? The DS DAC doesn’t like some McIntosh or apple TV converter feeds. Take your PC to your dealer. Stream to different DACs there. Then to the DS. Or dump USB to a matrix SPDIF then by I2S to DS DAC.

Hi Vmax. Do you mean something like this:

1 Like

Hi Vmax. I’m exploring the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 further. This may indeed be the answer. Is the I2S on the Matrix compatible with the I2S on the PS Audio DS DAC?

https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/314.html

Hi David,

Yes. Most flks here use that Matrix with USB converted to HDMI. It reclocks digital and removes jitter. The HDMI generally works best as the output. Please see the matrix thread on this forum. It adds a whole bigger more satisfying experience. And opens up a plethora of tweaks with LPS additions and Cable tweaks plus streamer fun.

1 Like

Okay, thanks very much Vmax! I think I may order one and see if that works. That way we may possibly avoid all the inexplicable USB issues that I’m experiencing on the DS DAC. I will let you all know.

Sorry Vmax. Just so that I understand correctly, would I connect the Mac mini to the usb input on the Matrix without connecting the Matrix to the external power supply? In other words, would the Mac mini power the Matrix as well as send the digital music signal from the Mac to the Matrix?

If the USB does not work with the DSD directly I suspect it will not work as an input to the Matrix.

The matrix can get power from the the 5 volt line in ZuSB. Sounds better with an external LPS and HDMI. I would make sure the USB out from your MAC works to other non PS audio DACs first.

By taking your PC to audio dealer first and trying streaming there. It could be software setting. I have experienced the PS audio dac not liking some Toslink optical SPDIF that work on other DACs.

You can check if DAC works by streaming an optical out of a TV to see if it decodes audio. I would fix USB source after that.

1 Like

Hi Vmax. Trust me, between the dealer, PS Audio and I, we have tried everything on this DAC to solve the issue. What I can mention is that the Mac Mini works perfectly fine on USB with the Cary Audio 200ts DAC, which I auditioned recently, and the Chord Qutest DAC, which is my desktop DAC in my home office.

As a reference DAC, the Cary does not match well sonically in my system. It also does not have I2S capability. So, the Cary is not an option.

At this stage, then, it is only the PS Audio which is dysfunctional on USB.

We have tried 2 different Macs (not only the Mini) and 2 different Windows laptops, but nothing works. PS Audio has even done remote access on the Mac and Windows laptop to work fully on settings, but nothing helps!

All other channels, including Optical from the TV, work perfectly fine on the PS Audio. It is only the USB channel that is dysfunctional.

But does the DSD USB input work with other sources other than the Mac Mini?

No, unfortunately not. It doesn’t work with a MacBook Pro and doesn’t work with 2 Windows laptops.

Unfortunately, I don’t have access to an audiophile music server, so I don’t know whether that would work.

This is precisely the difficulty I have now with the PS Audio: I cannot confidently say what would work on USB on the DAC. I cannot afford to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on different devices to see what does work, if any, on the DAC.