Matrix X-SPDIF 2

I am still getting my monies worth out of the 340 dollar Inakustik referenz USB. But omega cords are singing a siren song. I still need to hear more word of mouth or reviews.

2 Likes

It will be replaced by the Unicorn.

2 Likes

Or the Firebird :smirk:

I’m sticking to my AQ D. I’m not spending more than 1000 on a short cable

2 Likes

They already have FireBird cables. There are only so many mythical critters to go around.

3 Likes

Three Mythical Creature’s to be exact. Dragon and Firebird both silver both have the 72v DBS. Thunderbird 10% silver wire no DBS. I’m sure the Thunderbird sounds great with out DBS but not as good as Diamond, Firebird, or Dragon with 100% silver wire. The Thunderbird HDMI looks to resemble the Audioquest vodka in design.

If I owned a PS Audio Perfectwave Transport I’d be tempted to trade in the Diamond for Dragon. But the modified Oppo and Spdif sound great with Diamond!

1 Like

Audioquest is recommended by @Paul with PSA equipment, if I am not mistaken ?

Rob, the RAL is actually less expensive than the Wireworld. It lists for $699 but offering $599 seems to get the job done for those who are bold. The Wireworld is just fine, no need to fret. The RAL is just a bit better, hence I have a couple of them. They are a pain in the ass to get though. Be happy with your Wireworld. Otherwise one day you’ll be thinking about $25,000 DACs.

3 Likes

Have anyone tried a Pink Faun HDMI cable? I heard good things about them. Maybe it can give RAL a run for the money?

Yes, indeed. AQ cables are what’s running my reference system.

4 Likes

Hi Paul, Have you tried the new Dragon HDMI cables with the Directstream and the PW SACD Transport?

1 Like

I have one and one of their USB cables too. On my system they were both better than the WW Platinum 7.

1 Like

Perhaps this is the cable to get for those that want something better than the WW platinum, but don’t want the hassle of the RAL cable.

1 Like

I’d love to hear from anyone who’s tried the new Wireworld Silver Sphere as a comparison.

I am actually trying to keep quiet about my current cable trials as I have moved well beyond folly with the price of my newest cables. I have two sets of interconnects that were an absolute steal at $10,000 each. You don’t need to even think about such nonsense. Its absurd.

1 Like

@Paul , have you tried their new Dragon 48 hdmi between the PST and the DSD ?
The forum consensus seems to be on the RAL hdmi, but no one seems to have tried the new AQ products.

I went from WW silver sphere to the RAL HDMI which was a big jump, but it was a pain getting the RAL. After paying, zero responses to any polite emails, and even PayPal resolution process. Only got a response - and cable - after escalating to formal complaint. Arrived 3 months after order, and a week after complaint.

Thanks @philip-ganinternode-on-net. I’d heard that the new Silver Sphere was supposed to be better than the Platinum 7. Interesting.

1 Like

I wish I could remember all their names and models. I cannot keep up! I have some Dragon HDMI cable between the PST and DS DAC. If there are now different Dragons I am lost.

2 Likes

Good point, there are two Dragons, it’s confusing indeed: a Dragon 48 and a Dragon eARC. I am not sure what’s the difference between them. I seem to remember a post from @jamesh where he said that the eARC is not compatible with the DS. @jamesh , can you please let us know ?