Matrix X-SPDIF 2

The Lumin streamers do not do a second or full MQA unfold and I’m pretty sure that you need an MQA certified DAC to be able to the full MQA unfold.

Only Lumin streamers with an onboard DAC do the full unfold and then only through the Analog outputs. Same is true of other brands as well.

1 Like

Pretty confusing stuff. I don’t like compromises.
Is there any way to get the final MQA unfold to the DSD without using the bridge II?
There’s something I like about MQA, and I understand the aversion to MQA by many on this forum.

May I suggest that you go to Roon community and look for wklie who works for Lumin and ask him to clarify what Lumin can and cannot do with MQA?

Good to know. Thanks.

I installed a Inakustik Referenz USB cable in my system 2 weeks ago. At first it sounded brighter than I was expecting but after letting it burn in for a few days it has settled down nicely. It sounds much more open than the AQ Carbon I had been using and I couldn’t be happier with it.

I also ordered the RAL Prophecy a week ago. Hopefully I won’t have to wait too long for it but after reading the thread linked below, I’m not so sure. :grimacing:

3 Likes

That would depend on his backlog. He hand builds each one sometimes parts are delayed when ordered. I heard some get their cable within a week and some in months. Just hope you are one of the lucky ones, but I feel it is still worth the wait.
The connectors are a bit flimsy, so you have to be careful with it. Also it is like a small metal tube so don’t squeeze too hard on it and is quite stiff so be careful bending it. Like a metal tube when you bend it it stays bent, so it’s better to get a longer length. But the sound, for the money there is nothing better. Beats the hell out of my WW Platinum S7. Much clearer and better resolution.

Back to this other subject;
About this MQA, I don’t know if I’m getting the full unfolding, but when my brother brought over some MQA files he bought from Japan, it completely blew away every digital I heard in my system!! My server is MQA capable but the DS, I don’t know. You mean to tell me I’m only getting a partial unfold and it already sounds this good?
I don’t understand.

1 Like

Which server are you using?

With DS dac the only way to get full MQA unfold is to use Bridge2 card and that MConnect app.

I’m using the Esoteric N-03T and my brother the Aurender N10, also he paid $40 to update to MQA capable. He has same result. The MQA files sounds as good and often better than his SACD even with single layer SACD on the DMP. He is also using the DS Sr, no Bridge2 and no MConnect app. So we’re getting only partial MQA and already it sounds this good?

Thanks, that’s very helpful.

1 Like

I will re-install Bridge II this week and test with MQA both 192 and 352.8 then compare with the first fold through I2S with Bridge uninstalled.

2 Likes

This MQA thing is very confusing to me, if I’m getting only partial, and the full unfolding sounds even better, I would surely be in heaven!! Incredible sound as it is.

Depending on the original, Roon core, would send out 88.1 or 96. Bridge does the next level or levels. I will heck the full unfold against the single unfold using I2S.

Edit: I suspect SQ will gain with MQA only but at the expense of everything else.

So I’m not getting the full unfold since I don’t have the bridge installed?

Nope

Then I can’t explain why it sounds so much better than playing my regular DSD and 192k files. It sounds fuller and more presence. Maybe it’s euphoric distortion?

If your DAC screen says 88.2 or96 that’s first fold.

Tidal gives you the first unfold, but that’s it.

N-03 is geared for superior playback of PCM even @44.1 / 16. also it has a lot to do with there recording itself.