Matrix X-SPDIF 2

So close…

PWT>AC12 I2s>DS has always been my optimal setup. It still trumps my modest matrix setup Cardas Clear USB>Matrix>AC12 I2s>DS but this is the closest I have ever come to the King. If I poured more money into the Matrix setup I would likely come closer, but not worth it to me going down that rabbit hole

@fallig_leaves what transport are you using directly to DAC (without Matrix) please?

My PC is the source, going through an USB over Ethernet adapter, similar to PS Audio LanRover.

so it is the ETH->USB adapter which is connected to DAC and not the PC itself? What model of adapter are you using? Maybe it has high-end clocks and isolation inside similar to matrix?

Hehe nothing high end here… just this:
https://www.amazon.com/AV-Access-Extender-Operating-Synchronously/dp/B01EV33R8S/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=usb+over+ethernet&qid=1616689434&sr=8-14

It’s basically Computer → USB cable → Adapter → Ethernet cable → Adapter → USB cable → DSD Sr.

My computer is placed far away that’s why I used it. Matrix was doing good until I reconfigured my system recently and added Audio Envy cable, this cable open the system up but introduced a bit of edginess… returning to USB “direct” and skipping the Matrix did the trick for me. I plan to get an Intel NUC to serve as my source later and skip the Ethernet adapter entirely. Don’t like dedicated streamers as I watch a lot of music videos (pleasing both sight and sound senses :smiley: ), so I need a real PC.

1 Like

Hi guys,

Just want to report a very positive feedback on the RAL i2S HDMI cable, and about Brad itself.

Long-time follower of the Matrix SPDIF topic, with a pretty optimized digital rig: Roon Core (ROCK custom machine) > Curious Evolved USB > Matrix > WW Ultraviolet 7 > DS Dac.

I wanted to upgrade the connection between Matrix and DS, so I have read about all the thrill with the RAL cable but also about the “issues” with Brad, and the purchase process.

Well…

Brad it’s outstanding! Communication, purchase process, ability to customize the cable for my needs, quickness, were absolutely outstanding!

My initial contact with Brad was on 9th March. The cable was shipped on 15th March (after custom build – plugs orientation and length). I received it (one day delay due to exporting issues on U.S.) on 19th March.

Important note, I’m in Portugal.

About the cable itself, replacing the WW Ultraviolet 7, at first notes, it was an obvious upgrade… After 80hours, didn’t notice much more changes. The rollback (just to confirm what I already knew), let me thinking: was I listening to this system before?!

Usually, I’m very conservative describing a change / upgrade, more and more when we are talking about cables. The ones I have more experience and that give the most evident change were power cables.

RAL i2S HDMI cable, between Matrix and DS Dac, in my system, represented the most dramatic (for better) upgrade any signal cable ever made. Period! It’s that good!

Increased resolution, increased instrument texture, time accuracy, and the bass… the bass!!! Everything is more real and “palpable”, with more sense of being with the band on the same physical venue.

I can only highly recommend RAL i2S HDMI cable for the Matrix > DS Dac config, and making business with Brad.

Thanks Brad!

PS: I didn’t compare it to WW Platinum HDMI or similar, as other folks did, and all the testing and observations were based only in my system and experience.

6 Likes

Not all of us is as fortunate as you with getting this cable. Some has to wait a long time while others gets it almost right away. It’s like the luck of the draw. The RAL HDMI is really a bargain. It is about as good as it comes. That and a really good lps can significantly increase the SQ of the Matrix. I find the Farad Super 3 make a difference almost as much as the RAL HDMI. It is a bit better than the Sbooster I had before. The Farad is also just about as good as it gets for a lps.

2 Likes

Lucky me. :grin:

I agree on the upgrade with a LPS.
I use a Keces P3 for the Matrix (and hopefuly for the DS analogue board, soon).

But I think the RAL improvement was even bigger (in my system).

2 Likes

Lucky you! I ordered my .75M I2S 2/5/21 the only thing I have to show for it is a invoice showing it’s paid for. Maybe I should of ordered outside the US. :confounded:

1 Like

:muscle:
On the positive side, it will be worth it in the end.

mine was ordered around end of february to europe, but also nothing else than invoice email.
i knew that this will take long, but i somehow can’t get how some folks got it so quick - maybe Brad is each month picking also someone randomly out of queue order?

Maybe you are correct. I figured the cable already cut in specific lengths would ship first but it seems like a pick your name out of a hat lottery. If the cable wasn’t so highly recommended by forum members who I respect I’d have a hard time being as patient as I have been.

1 Like

I hope you guys receive your RAL i2S cables soon! :crossed_fingers:

But besides the quickness, in my case, Brad was absolutely great communication wise.

1 Like

I’d love to have the opportunity to find that out for myself. :laughing:

1 Like

Hello fellow Matrixians! I am a relatively new member of the “club” having received my Matrix less than 3 weeks ago. But oh my, what a fantastic little device! I am truly impressed with its performance in my headphone system. It provides THE largest audible quantum jump up in sound enjoyment that I have yet experienced from my MB Pro to DS DAC to headphone system. Definitely the best price/performance bargain in all my years of audio system purchases. And its build quality is superb.

What do you suggest I take as the next step to potentially elevate its performance level even higher? HDMI cable or PS? My inclination is to go the HDMI route even though I am enthralled with the sound using my current inexpensive HDMI cable. BTW, I have started to look through this thread for information, but have only made it to #1667 after one week of part-time reading. But what an interesting and positive read!

1 Like

Andrew Everard writes all the Gramophone reviews. It was also published in HFN. Interesting devices and nice small formats.

Great to hear you’re hearing how good the Matrix is, welcome to the entrance of the rabbit hole.

Depending on budget most people here end up with a Revolution Audio Lab HDMI cable, IMO it’s the best solution as long as you don’t mind the trauma of actually acquiring one.

A solid LPS is also a big bonus, lots of options but in my system a Farad Super 3 was the dog’s bollocks.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome. I probably will go for a RAL hdmi as the next step forward. Hopefully I can get one that was previously owned and avoid the crapshoot of a new purchase. Fortunately I am currently so enthralled with the performance using my 8 year old, <$6.00 monoprice HDMI cable (with ferrite chokes on both ends), that I can probably wait for a used cable to become available without letting those aural ants in my audiophile pants annoy me to the point of new purchase submission.

1 Like

If you’re thinking about getting a RAL HDMI, you should order one now. Hopefully you will get it 2 or 3 months from now. That’s about the average wait. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for a used one. It’s been a year and I’m still waiting for one
in the used market.
As for LPS, I ended up with the Farad Super 3, which has the clearest sound. But you can spend less and go with a TeddyPardo or a Sbooster and still get excellent performance.

2 Likes

Matrix Element X uses Edit: ESS ES9038PRO used in Ayre QX-5 Twenty Streaming DAC.
Element X looks really promising:
PCM 16-32Bit /44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz, 384kHz, 705.6kHz, 768kHz
DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz (DoP)
DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6 MHz, 11.2 MHz, 22.4MHz (Native)
MQA 16-24Bit /44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz, 384kHz MQA or MQA Studio stream