Matrix X-SPDIF 2

Yes, updated DS and UltraRendu firmware. When I get a warning like “Roon has lost control of the audio device” I go to the “DAC diagnostics” menu in UltraRendu and the Matrix still appears, however on a restart of the UltraRendu I have no more DAC listed.

One question, on your system, does UltraRendu list Matrix as DAC?

This is what Roon Reports.

I had issues with Matrix in-between the DS Sr. and Rendu Signature SE. Not nearly as often as you. But I do know when it happened, I had to boot up in specific order to get it right. I still get it with out the Matrix but nearly as often as I used to. I think key was to power down everything, power up Sonore, wait a few min, power up matrix, and then power up the Dac. I have removed the matrix so I do know it happens the sonore first, wait, then Dac works. Not sure why the Sonore wants to up fully before the Dac is even started is beyond me, but I have had it happen. Now it only seems to happen when i have power outage and not every time.

Brian, your experience mirrors mine. The power on order of the Sonore, Matrix, and DS is a real head scratcher - and annoying! In my case, sometimes doing things in the right order works, sometimes it doesn’t. I can’t wait for the AL so I can get off this merry-go-round!

Hahaha, I sort of feel the same way. I absolutely love the sound quality of the Rendu, and I am hoping the Airlens is just as good or better. I already have the Meclo in the wings for better Ethernet switching. Optical into the that and low noise ethernet out of it. Looking to simplify. I am guessing i will get more money back than I paid for all the stuff I have now as I got a super sweet deal on the Sonore and it will pay for the Airlens.

1 Like

Folks,

Matrix Audio have released another (Windows) ASIO driver update. I posted a comment in the ‘DirectStream Snr. DAC and Windows 11’ topic. Here’s a link for those interested.

Cheers.

Did I miss a follow up? I’d like to know how the Innuos benefits from a matrix in the system with and without an LPS

The Innuos doesn’t itself benefit at all from using a Matrix or any other DDC. In theory only the DS does.

In my experience I hear no differences using the Matrix WITH or WITHOUT a PC. PhoenixNET > ZENith > Matrix > DS DAC. My test was related only to streaming from Qobuz.
On the other hand I found a clear difference, for the better, WITH the Matrix (I2S) vs WITHOUT it (USB).
This is the reason why I’m curious to know if:

• the PhoenixUSB without the Matrix can sound better
  • the new DS DAC MK II will change all, due to USB different quality
  • the ethernet (AirLens) connection will be the best way vs USB and vs USB/Matrix/I2S

I’m seriously evaluating the upgrade to the Statement Next Gen (very expensive decision) because it means not only an inherent improvement (separated and new PSU) also the flexibility to use in future both the ways ethernet/I2S and USB. With less boxes and cables around.

Decisions, decisions…

1 Like

luca

If all of your decisions are based around the release of the DS II why don’t you just be patient and wait until it’s actually released to see if your current collection of toys work with it or not. As Innuos products are optimized for USB and PS DAC’s are supposedly optimized for I2S then you are going in two directions at once. With the Zenith Mk III and the Phoenix you already had one of the finest USB streaming combos on the market yet you are putting a $499 DDC in between that combo and the DS which defeats the whole purpose of the Innuos combo. For whatever reason you think the Air Lens is the answer to your streaming problems and the DS II is it for DAC’s so just try patience and wait and see if you are right or wrong. At this point you seem to be just spending money on a “shotgun” approach. My opinion only and I’m sure you will have a different one,

2 Likes

The left side of my brain couldn’t agree more with you and is immensely grateful for your advice.
The right side as usual is the audiophile devil in me.
Before jumping in an expensive purchase like the Statement (my dealer just informed me about actual shipment time: it is becoming question of months, not weeks) perhaps I can satisfy my curiosity in another way. More a step by step approach.
Trying in my system also a USB connection via PhoenixUSB (my actual Phoenix is the NET one actually), to find out:

• how it works now via Matrix (immediately available benefit)
  • how it works when the DS DAC II will be here without the AirLens (first step test)
  • how it works compared to ethernet connection via AirLens (second step test)

After a few months and a few new PS Audio toys in my chain, I’ll be able to build a more solid perspective. And according to my dealer with valuable trade in opportunities at my disposal.

Left and right sides are fighting in me, it means that my life is going well, otherwise (unfortunately I know what I’m saying) during hard times there would be very different thoughts to crowd the mind, far other than audiophile stuff upgrades!

Thank you for your opinion.

Yes I understand that. I should’ve said since the innuos works on separating the power and getting a cleaner USB signal does the matrix have that much improvement on an innuos vs a computer.

Luca, are you using a LPS for your matrix or just the power off the USB from the innuos in your evaluations?

No the degree of improvement would be far less with the USB from the Innuos than a computer. Might not notice any difference at all or even a degradation could be possible.

1 Like

Or as my father used to say to me “ don’t let money burn a hole in your pocket. “

Are you still using the Farad3 with the Matrix? I have had great experiences with Farad3 adding it to the Chord Dave. Wondering what benefits one gets from a good LPS? Seems like a budget or cheap LPS will just add more noise as ASR has shown …

1 Like

Yes, I will not run the Matrix without the Farad3. Although the Matrix is very good on it’s own, adding the Farad3 gives the sound even a greater sense of reality. The sound is cleaner and lower noise floor. Putting in a SR Purple fuse and using a better power cable to the Farad3 also pays dividend.

5 Likes

Welcome, @somatic !

Nice. I’m going to get it. I also have the Farad3 sr purples on Dave and love it.

1 Like

I use the Matrix without any LPS, when I fed it with a modest Topping LPS I wasn’t able to hear improvements. Some folks here reported significant results using hi-end LPS with the Matrix. I didn’t go this way yet. Too much boxes and cables.

I don’t know if the fact that I like more the sound with the Matrix in my system is due to the I2S input of the DS DAC rather than the Matrix itself. The upcoming DS MK II will sport a galvanically isolated USB input, that promises to lift the USB path up to another level. If this comes true, I can happily say goodbye to my Matrix.

Meanwhile I’m thinking to give a try to a PhoenixUSB to see what it can bring to the equation ZENith > DS DAC (I and II).

1 Like