Matrix X-SPDIF 2

Took the words right out of my writing hand :yum:
Many thanks Ted for replying and explaining so clearly, (probably not for the first time either :smirk:)

Another update guys (and apologies for the length). The UltraCap and USB cable arrived today (yay!). Unfortunately the HDMI cable is delayed until 1st week of December. At any rate, I’m powering the X-SPDIF with the new power supply (at 7V - let me know if I should do 9V) and plugged in the USB cable (why does WireWorld waste expense on a bloody ‘carry case’ for the cable? :roll_eyes:). Lots of (re-)listening to do now but initial observations suprised even me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Let me explain. Apart from ‘serious’ listening (via HQP), I also watch TV and movies with the audio going via the X-SPDIF (all going through the DS of course). The straight PCM (non-upsampled) I get from VLC for TV audio is a little ‘bright’ in the higher frequencies. For the HQP (upsampled) audio, the quality is much better. Why? Beats the fcuk out of me! :astonished: So, at first blush, it would seem that HQP/Matrix does a better job (at pre-processing the signal for the DS) for an upsampled stream than for straight PCM. The DS appears to do a better job at processing ‘raw’ PCM via the Matrix. Purely conjecture at this point.

Anyway, just first thoughts. As I’ve introduced a number of variables into the mix here (I know, I know, bad experimental technique), I think it best that I refrain from further comment until I have the ‘final configuraion’ assembled and have listened for some time.

Just one more thing. After Ted’s elucidation, I’ve tweaked the HQP’s settings as follows. Not that it’s necessarily optimally based on his explanation, it’s just something more with which to tinker. I’ve also changed the filtering regime. So, as I say, too many variables to which to attribute any particular ‘sound’ differences. It’s more just to let you know what configuration with which I’m working. However, one observation I will make is that the regime of upsampling all PCM to DSD128 and converting to DoP before going to the Matrix has a pretty hefty impact on CPU utilization on the Windows PC - and that’s not including some processing offload to the GPU! I’m talking around 18% utilization on an AMD Rizon 7, 8-core, 3.7GHz processor!

Capture1

Thanks for reporting in detail Mike. I’m following your observations closely here in Oz. I utilise the Bridge 2 with a wireless connection from a Mac mini to the router. I’m super keen to learn if the matrix etc. gets you to a preferred sound.

OK I’ll keep posting here with any significant updates.

I should have mentioned above that I too am (was) a Bridge II user and have removed the card from the DS Sr while I’m tinkering with the X-SPDIF. I think I can safely say at this point that using the Matrix has not diminished my listening pleasure. My system is in my living area and is constantly playing something - either from my library or ABC Classic radio over the DVB band. While doing other stuff, I’m frequently stopped momentarily by something different in what I’m hearing, for the better. So I’m optimistic that this will be my new input to the DS. Still a few things to work through but I am optimistic.

1 Like

I hope it works out for you thanks Mike.
Matt

Curious if this will be a better source than my Ap-Linux RoonCore/ Ethernet/ Modded Oppo 203 over i2s output into my Directstream…hmn
Bit of an investment to find out right enough?

Agree. For me that’s what made the decision to take the plunge a little difficult. The cost of the experiment was uncomfortably high but with the potential to return more value than it costs. Standard ROI thinking I guess. :yum:

Just some reassurance from here: I’m - as always - optimizing my system and was so annoyed by the limited space of my rack that the idea of getting rid of something was getting louder and louder, and the obvious thing to kill is the Matrix, as it has no real own shelf and the (ugly) linear PSU is on the floor below anyway and it also stopped working when I touched it to move it twice (don’t do that on me), so I unplugged the USB and put it in the DSD, not forgetting to remove the HDMI from the DSD to avoid ground issues compromising the test, and gave it a fair listening, right after another upgrade that somehow transformed my system (voices and - finally - depth! omg), so it was a very fresh memory of what to expect. I listen. And it was gone. The new magic. Damn. So I stay in the Matrix.

2 Likes

The Matrix has you…

1 Like

4 Likes

It’s interesting how people want to get rid of the matrix… then can’t. Must be placebo!!! Lol!

5 Likes

Hi! I have just join the forum. After reading about the Matrix spdif 2, I have order one and waiting for the arrival. I would like to confirm which voltage is good for Matrix spdif 2? 5v, 7v or 9V?

It says 6v to 9v in the manual.

7 is a good place to start. Experiment.

4 Likes

I will be buying Keces p8 for the Matrix so i need to decide on which voltage to use. I am thinking of either 6v or 7v. May I have suggestions for it?

The lowest voltage specified should be best. I would go with 6v or 7v. 7v is more versatile…

Lower voltage is ‘better’ for the matrix as the voltage drop provides lower heat stress, however, sonically different voltages sound best depending on which psu you use. So, the answer is try each voltage your psu provides and decide which sounds best and if they sound similar go at the lower voltage setting. Mine sounds best at 9v, then 5v, then 7v a distant third

1 Like

Hmmm, I didn’t like 5V whether it was from USB, an iFI, or the Uptone LPS. Then again, I didn’t do serious testing. Just listened for a while and did a better/worse judgement. (Hey, don’t knock it… I still get my eye exam that way.)

@rq1111, you would be best to check the true voltage output of your power supply. (Thanks, @cardri!) When I checked the Uptone LPS 1.2 at 9V, it actually measured 9.2-9.3V, which exceeds the manufacturer’s spec for the Matrix, thus likely voiding warranties. Plus, both the Matrix and LPS ran wicked hot at 9V.

Since I didn’t like the Sonics at 5V and didn’t want to make toast at 9.3V, I settled in — and am happy with — 7V.

2 Likes

@RobH - as you know, I’ve run the Matrix @ 5.15V (external) w/ “data only” JMaxwell USB cable from N+; using Sbooster Ultra filter. I’ve since purchased a custom built Farad Super3 LPS (6V), making sure the Matrix operation meets warranty. Having much SQ success w/ Farad Super3 LPSs. Glad it is working out for you.

5 Likes