Matrix X-SPDIF 2

Just tried and that didn’t work either. Thanks tho for the response.

I just try reconnecting my Mac Mini to my Matrix and I selected in System Preferences on sound output x-spdif2 - USB and it works fine. If it doesn’t work with your Mac Mini and Lumin, it’s probably the Matrix is bad. I would return it for another one. This is what it looks like on the Mac Mini.

I’m in the same boat with my Matrix not showing up as an option for the audio output on my MacBook Pro. I bought my Matrix from Moon Audio about the same time so maybe there was a bad batch.

I just tried it on my Macbook Pro and It works fine. Go to System Preferences and choose the X-SPDIF 2 - USB output. I had to use USB 2 to USB 3 adapter because new Macbooks do not have USB 2.

Not working for me. When I wakeup my MacBook the green light on the Matrix comes on. But the Matrix doesn’t show up as an audio output. When I look at system information, the MacBook recognizes that the Matrix is connected to the USB but still doesn’t see it as an audio output. I’m working with both Matrix and Moon Audio to try and find a solution.

1 Like

Just received an email back from Matrix and this is what they suggested:

1. Please make sure your mac computer not output a signal that over 192k, then try coaxial and optical output to your PS audio DAC, to see if it can play normally.

This step we can check if X-SPDIF2 works good.

If it works OK, then please check IIS config.

1. for iis output config, please try switch 2 ON/OFF to see if it can works and match.

1. please check if X-SPDIF2 volume is suitable position on your mac.

2. please check switch 1 and switch 3, set to OFF.

3. please confirm you have use a standard USB cable, use original USB cable in the box to try.

I’ve already tried to USB that came with the X-SPDIF2. I’ll try the coax and optical to the SGCD. If they don’t work, then I will test with my Black Ice DAC. I’m not quite sure what they mean with the volume since the MacBook doesn’t see the X-SPDIF2 as an audio device. I wasn’t sure if you had tried their recommended changes to the switches.

Doesn’t look right. It should automatically show up in the sound card in System Preferences. But when you plug into the USB of the DAC, it works right? If it does, it’s most likely a bad Matrix. This shows up when I plug direct to the DAC, and it works fine also.

Roger that. There’s nothing more you could do. I hope you get the replacement soon.

1 Like

That’s the same for me. Works fine if I leave out the Matrix. I’m going to try the coax and optical that Matrix suggested. But not until tomorrow because now it is time to listen to some music, drink some wine, and watch the sun set over Puget Sound.

Wow, 5000+ posts about the Matrix and there are no signs of this thread ending any time soon.

1 Like

This thread wouldn’t have even started if PS Audio built this darn Matrix into their DACs in the first place. I hope the MK II don’t have this problem.

The Ideal Copy!!

1 Like

Nice spot! Love that album.

1 Like

If anything, this stresses the value of galvanic isolation, and signal re-clocking.

2 Likes

Hypsos! amazing power supply with completely adjustable voltage output

wijber
Thanks for posting this!

Well my Matrix unit has been shipped back to Moon Audio and they received it today. They said it would take 5-7 days to test and troubleshoot the Matrix. Then my guess is another 2-5 days for return shipping on new or fixed unit. That means I gave them my money on 6/2 for an in-stock piece of equipment and I may not be able to actually use it until the end of the month. LOL

But this experience with Moon Audio has shown me how much PS Audio gets right. I’m not sure how big Moon Audio is or how much they make off of a product like the Matrix but their customer service is nothing compared to PS Audio. Not that it’s a bad service, but in comparison; it’s not even in the same league as PS Audio.

For example; I purchased the GainCell DAC for testing on my computer setup in my office with Monitor Speakers and Headphones. PS Audio covered shipping both ways even when I decided to go with another option which wasn’t PSA. No questions asked, they just emailed me the return label for no extra cost on a $1700 piece of equipment. Now I ended up buying the DSD instead but PS Audio did not know that going in during the return process. Awesome customer service in my opinion!

Moon Audio on the other hand is reviewing the Matrix like they may not replace it or may even send it back to Matrix to be fixed or something. So I’ve spent $500 to sit and wait. LOL Patience is not one of my virtues.

On a side note tho, the Farad came in and I got to unbox it and test on the Matrix also to see if it would fix the issue. Very surprised at the quality in the Farad product and how heavy it is for such a small package. One day I may even get to listen to the Matrix and hear the comparison with the Farad. LOL

3 Likes

Your Matrix issue would be resolved, hopefully quickly. Bad Matrix units are quite rare. I had an issue with a $5k phono stage that took a month to resolve. They sent me a new unit and all’s good.

Yes, linear power supplies weigh a lot. Wound wires and core would always be heavy.

@tedsmith : would a Matrix X-SPDIF 2 between an Aries G2.1 and my DAC improves sound ? Thanx. Take care

I don’t have any direct experience with the Aries G2.1. So I would be just guessing. But still doing the USB outside the DS (if that’s the DAC you have) with the Matrix would probably be noticeable. You don’t need to go nuts with a power supply at the beginning. If you hear a difference with the Matrix an external power supply would probably make some more difference.

3 Likes