Matrix X-SPDIF 2

just got my matrix 2. hooked it up via i2s to my ds mk1 sounds great. can anyone confirm the correct IIS port configuration on the unit’s bottom dip switches for connecting to ds mk1 just to be sure mine is right?

All off. You can leave DSD (Dip switch 1) on, nut makes no difference for DS Dac.

3 Likes

Wondering about how the SPDIF 3 is holding up after more time with it. I’m planning to pull the trigger on one between my n100h and DSD MK1. Currently running USB directly, and looking for “better”. Seems to make the most sense to go right to the 3 as it seems to be better, from your reports.

Are you still running no LPS, or have you since added one? I was hoping to get by without one with this new quieter, more insulated model. I’d appreciate your comments.

X-SPDIF 3 is still highly recommended!
Very solid performer, still in my setup.
And still the best DDC for the money in my opinion. Even twice as expensive DDC Holo Red was not better in my setup. I have tested my X-SPDIF 3 with iFi iPower2 power supply (12V) and honestly, I didn’t notice any sonic difference. I don’t have a better 12V linear power supply available at the moment, so I can’t rule out that a higher quality one would help sonically. Anyway, using mine without LPS now…

Here is my recommendation. Go for it. You won’t regret it.

1 Like

Thank You! I just pulled the trigger. Now the wait for the magic…

1 Like

Is anyone here using an AQ Diamond USB > Matrix > AQ Carbon HDMI > DSD? This is what I’ll be doing when my Matrix 3 arrives next week, while I continue the search for a better HDMI.

After years of multiple people trying multiple cables it comes down to the AQ Dragon 48 HDMI cable is tip top. It is what I use after trying a half dozen others. The difference it makes is clearly audible.

2 Likes

Until my most recent switch to Aurender / dCS using both AQ Diamond usb & hdmi (Melco N1ZS10 > Matrix & full loaded Farad Super 3 > Directstream) was very satisfying.

i’ve got some version of AQ … not so fancy tho. Carbon, maybe?

it sounds nice. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I use AQ Diamond USB > Matrix > RAL HDMI >DSD MK1 (fully modded). I have not compared AQ Dragon to RAL, but I am pretty happy with the setup. In my system, feeding the Matrix with a good LPS was more impactful than any cable choices. If I had to choose between running my Matrix with the best cable without LPS vs running it with an LPS and a cheap cable, I’d definitely choose the latter. And with MK1 DS Dac, see if you can short the USB input. Makes a big difference. And if anything is plugged into USB, your system will be affected regardless of which input is used. I initially thought there was no difference between I2S and USB doing A/B test. The difference was not apparent until I removed the USB and plugged the port with a shorting plug.

1 Like

I have an AQ diamond usb and a mocha hdmi. I like the combo.

2 Likes

Aangen, I’ve seen many of your posts about your journey and all of the cables you’ve used, although I didn’t notice you’ve settled on the dragon (this is one hell of a long thread). Good to know, and something to strive for. I’ll definitely have to work my way up to this one after the last couple years of out of control spending. Thanks for your input!

1 Like

The missing piece for me is the Diamond HDMI, so maybe I try to find one of these before I can upgrade to the eventual Dragon.

Great insight! I’ll be looking into a LPS for the Matrix 3, which I think requires 12v. With the new Matrix I won’t have anything plugged into the USB on the MK1. I’ll need to look into how to obtain a shorting plug. This is the first I’ve seen about using one of these, but it makes sense to me. Thanks!!

I am using Small Green Computer’s high value 12v LPS with the Matrix 3, and am well pleased.

1 Like

Is this the one you are referring to?

Yes.

1 Like

In my opinion those Small Green Computer supplies are just fine. But I prefer the Watercooled Hindenburg as it looks more interesting.

3 Likes

1 Like

rkosak, my SPDIF 3 just arrived. All switches on the bottom are to be in the off position, correct? I think that’s what I’m hearing on the SPDIF 2 at least.

Thanks!

2 Likes