Matrix X-SPDIF 2

Hi Narbooty, I take it you you tried the BJ both ways round. The sound is much thicker and less bright when put in the wrong way round I.e. writing going towards matrix box.

Oh well, couldn’t resist to join the club and pulled the trigger to try the Matrix in my setup.

Will install this tonight, curious about results :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

I tried to join the club but they ran out by the time they got to me. the US branch of Matrix said they sold like 10 units in a day. I think it will be a couple of weeks before the have more units.

magicknow

Well, I couldn’t resist the urge either. Just purchased a used one on Audiogon :^ )

1 Like

Speaking of which - how are you making out with the LPS - any improvement?

Yes, after four days of being powered up continuously, the UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 power supply is coming into its own, thanks again for suggesting it.

@bootzilla : regret i waited this long to go your route :roll_eyes:

Installed the Matrix, fed by 9v ifi iPower and Audioquest Diamond USB, feeding the i2S DSsr input with a Monster HDMI UHD4K platinum.

Cold out of the box it’s like a kind of super clean dream machine giving more ease and control.

Only incidentally using BridgeII for the convenience controlling the volume with my control point ever since owning a Melco, the next step will be dismantling BridgeII, which too probably leaves me with a redundant Audioquest Diamond RJ/E. No regrets at all though as the Bridge was my first encounter in high quality streaming. With Qobuz and the Melco unfolding the first stage i’ll hardly miss MQA.

The Matrix is nicely embedded in my system :grinning:

Highly enjoying Hugh Masekela’s “Stimela” DSD128fs dff at this very moment

Thank you Boot & all !!!

2 Likes

I also picked one of these up last week, which arrived today. Very nice packaging. Just hooked it up directly to my Alienware Alpha R2 PC with a Shunyata Venom USB and a Wireworld Chroma HDMI. I am comparing it to the Bridge connecting to a Sonicorbiter i5 via Audioquest Diamond. Playing tunes from Qobuz via Roon and the desktop app off the PC. Even stone cold the Matrix is pretty impressive. Very good and distinct bottom end nice attack. The Bridge sounds brighter and more digital. The soundstage on Matrix is decidedly deeper and spacious. Those that have been using the Matrix for a while, how long is the burn-in process?

I’ve got a JCAT Reference USB cable coming in the next week, so that should take it up a notch. Would love to know if a power supply would make a noticeable difference. Uptone LPS 1.2 may be a bit pricey for now, but would it be that much better to go with than say the iFi. Would appreciate any advice and suggestions. Is anyone using the Matrix directly with the Sonicorbiter? I guess that would be a better way to go than connecting to a PC. Will have to compare that.

Love the vast expertise and experience that exists on this forum, even though its costing me a pretty penny.

1 Like

Ha! Looks like we posted very similar experience at about the same time. Glad to have my experience corroborated.

Less stress, there is no doubt :musical_score:

Welcome to the club, @wijber and @usama.amin!

Yes, an external PSU can make a meaningful difference. I started with no external PSU, then moved to an iFi iPower 5v PSU. And currently I am demoing a UpTone UltraCap LPS-1.2.

@wijber, since you play DSD files on your Melco, try setting the Matrix DoP to Native dip switch to ON. The Matrix will convert DoP coming off the Melco into native DSD and send a native DSD bit stream to your DS DAC.

2 Likes

Honestly Boot Matrix owes you some commissions, you have single handedly boosted sales and put them out of stock! Love that you have helped so many folks. I almost bit the bullet but I need to wait a bit, and now with them out of stock I am set!

3 Likes

Will wait for your thoughts on the UpTone. Perhaps in the meantime I’ll pick up an iFi. Matrix says 6 to 9V, is that correct?

Huge thanks to you @bootzilla for turning us on to this. You should get a special recognition from them.

1 Like

Great - glad you like it.

1 Like

6 to 9V is correct, above may damage the Matrix. Using ifi iPower 9V over here because i already owned one, so far so good :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Right, and the 5v iFi works, as well (I used it continuously for months without incident). USB is 5v, so it is not too surprising that a 5v PSU works. With the UltraCap, I have it set to 7v.

Wau…Thanks…

I used the 9V iFi for a couple months as well - I no longer have the Matrix but it do improve significantly over USB direct to DS.

Chris, I am skeptical that this cable is directional. I honestly do not recall which way that I had it ran during the week it was hooked up. I just did a little back and forth tonight, and am not convinced there is significant difference. I didn’t spend much time on it so I can’t be sure, but if there is it doesn’t to be obvious in my system with just a quick comparison. If I get the time and ambition I might give it a more thorough go.

No need for a Matrix with a Pink Faun 2.16 :upside_down_face:

2 Likes