MQA chapt11

Agreed, someone will probably want to buy the IP and the royalty stream even if they don’t actually invest in the current company.

1 Like

I tend to agree. I distinctly recall purchasing a beta hifi machine a few weeks before the Metropolitan Opera centennial gala broadcast on October 22, 1983, simply in order to record that event. At that precise moment in time VHS HiFi had yet a few months to arrive. I was annoyed at this because I had been using VHS for some years and had a small library of pre-recorded and self-recorded tapes, so I didn’t want to make the switch.

I don’t recall whether Beta or VHS was the first to have low-fi stereo capability, but I suspect that the people who would have cared about stereo were actually more enthused about the very real HiFi capabilities of both formats.

Sad news about MQA

Article from Stereonet that MQA’s furture uncertain…possible receivership

Here is the link to the article

Best wishes

2 Likes

Filed under don’t care. Have zero stake or interest in MQA for a multitude of reasons.
Ciao MQA.

6 Likes

Sorry Vince…I just saw that after posting the thread…perhaps Elk
could either delete or merge this thread with that one

Best wishes

2 Likes

There’s so many posts on the forum, it’s hard to keep track.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

All set. No problem At all!

This forum keeps getting busier and busier. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow I had no idea. The Betamax my parents had when I was a kid was all mono, I guess I just assumed it was all like that.

4 Likes

Nine years… I gave it five.

3 Likes

Looks like post-MQA plans are underway at TIDAL:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TIdaL/comments/12hr68f/comment/jfuo1ng/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

3 Likes

Yeah basically do what other are doing now.

Possibly Tidal has a sans MQA solution, FLAC if one is to trust posts on Reddit:

Tidal comments on a post MQA Universe?

I wonder who will be first to stream DSD64.

There was a service in Japan for a number of years called PrimeSeat with DSD64 & DSD128 streaming service, but ceased as of January 2023.

2 Likes

The good ol’ days!

2 Likes

If they don’t have Tidal as a customer / cheerleader that presumably lowers the chances of someone buying it outright?

1 Like

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, and if the market will support a different pricing scheme. Quoting from the article:

Moreover, both Apple and Amazon offer their full hi-res catalog within their standard pricing tiers, while Tidal would make its own hi-res lossless offering a paid upgrade at almost twice the cost of those competing services.

1 Like