New device on order

I don’t have any big objections as long as people find the reading of the thread interesting. I think we all have different focus on whats best.

And yes, I will claim my thread back when my toy arrives 101_gif

rogerdn said Prior to the Yggy I preferred Bridge II played from my Synology/ minimserver/iPad. I'm playing the Yggy with Roon from my laptop with a Regen, Jitterbug and Fidelizer Plus, which despite the tweaks I would expect to be inferior sq, but nevertheless I prefer it. Running the same laptop set up USB to the DS is my third choice.
This is similar to my experience. I have a small headless Windows machine in the music room that I use for ripping LPs and occasionally for USB playback (2x DSD, which the Bridge can't handle, via foobar2000). But the Bridge always sounded better. Then I got some better cables and installed Fidelizer on the PC. These changes brought the PC sound much closer to that of the Bridge; with a Jitterbug and a Regen it might be almost indistinguishable.

Roger, what music player were you using on the laptop (before you got Roon)?

That’s been some time ago as I switched to the Bridge couple yrs ago, but I had a variety, P Music, Amarra, JRiver but always had trouble keeping connections (prior to Yale) so moved to Bridge. My laptop is basic HP nothing special but with the Regen,ect is significantly better.

Some pictures during arrival.

First problem encountered. Since both USB ports are USB-A I cannot use my JCAT USB cable, having an USB-B connector in one end, so I might have to go straight from my Aries to the DS USB input, bypassing this player. I will conclude later.

Post note: These USB ports were only for data and not audio.

WP_20151209_001.jpgWP_20151209_002.jpgWP_20151209_003.jpgWP_20151209_004.jpg

Nucu does nice work. Let us know what you think.

Nicolae told me that he don’t recommend using a 5m long HDMI cable for an I2s signal carrying close to 50MHz.

This means that I might have to relocate my DAC. In order to do this I need to extend my XLR cables from my DS output from 1m to 5m - would this cause any big worries?

I hope for a prompt response on this one 45_gif103_gif

Frode said Nicolae told me that he don't recommend using a 5m long HDMI cable for an I2s signal carrying close to 50MHz.

This means that I might have to relocate my DAC. In order to do this I need to extend my XLR cables from my DS output from 1m to 5m - would this cause any big worries?

No worries. Indeed XLR cables are thought for rather long distances.

I wonder if the designer of the Rockna cases is also responsible for the look of the Russian Kombat T-98.

In summer, I had the Audiobyte BD and the Hydra Z at home for testing. Connected via HDMI cable. Soundwise a dream team but I didn’t like the Black Dragon as pre-amp. Besides I am not a friend of relay clicks (when sampling rate is changing).

Happy testing!

I was primarily thinking of the transformer output of the DS that could be sensitive to the interconnect cable RLC parameters.

Longer interconnects adds capacitance but I don’t think that’s going to be a problem. My interconnects are balanced, connected to DirectStream and they are 50 feet long. So you wanting to go to 15 feet isn’t a problem. And I agree with Nucu, I’d sooner see longer interconnects than longer HDMI.

And three meters for XLR cables carrying a line level signal is trivial, a bagatelle.

I am eager to hear your report.

Here are two pictures from the test setup after relocating the DAC.

The new HDMI cable is 0.7m.

The VDU is a temporary solution for the Transport W7 Ultimate OS.

Impressions will soon follow.

image-4.pngimage-4.jpeg

I am finally able to provide some more info here.

I experienced a rib fracture during the process of moving my DAC which explains the slow response (sorry).

Sound impressions:

Without a doubt the WDN is an top class player, even after a limited amount of burn-in hours. I can say with confidence that the sound has never been better.

The only comment I have so far is the body/weight/authority/impact that so far appear slightly lean (but it could also mean ‘neutral’ by all means).

As it seems the lean impression is mostly tied to CD playback but not so much network playback, however this part is continuously improving, so I am not worried really.

I need to check the settings in Foobar to be absolutely sure that they are optimal for SQ. I use Monkeymote for remote control via iPad.

This player with my tube amps is a match made in heaven with a slight touch of warmth to enter a ‘foot-tapping’ state and to assure prolonged listening sessions with pure pleasure.

Operations:

There are a few bugs (as it seems) tied with an unreliable fast forwarding/rewind and pause features via the IR remote control. Troubleshooting is in progress as we speak. Also I have a slight problem to get my VGA/HDMI converter to work, but nothing serious.

This weekend I will try to install Roon on this player and report back.

Post note:

Rockna has promised to sort out all of this by February, at the latest.

I just installed Roon server on my Transport and control it via my Roon app.

Library is both on Transport local disc and on a NAS.

Works like a charm :slight_smile:

My experience too, for all it does I marvel at how bug free it’s been from the beginning.

Yes, but note that I am installing Roon on my Transport. I have no dedicated computer in the loop. I think you may find it quite rare :slight_smile:

Probably so, my Roon server is on a PC in another room with RoonReady on my Sonicorbiter SE, expect to take a serious look at their microRendu when available.

I am also following the uRendu on the CA forum with great interest. I probably don’t need it, but I didn’t need all of my music servers, either sorry_gif