New DSD Sr DAC In The House - September 2019

October…

October

Thanks

Congrats for the purchase! I upgraded from Jr. to Sr. early this year and right out of box the Sr. sounded as if there was a veil on it; After a few months of listening (I don’t listen or turn it on all the time), Sr opened up quite a bit and admirably exceeds what Jr. used to be (Sr plays with more natural and fluid flows); Give it more time does make it better. It comes with bridge II but I use DMP (I2S) exclusively, only use Bridge when want to scan through the library (or being lazy); Personally I like 3.0.6 which is a bit closer to the vinyl playback to my ears than earlier versions (yes it is a bit more in your face and less subtle);

1 Like

Funny, I guess it is system dependent…I just but 306 back on and I have the opposite experience…I feel tension on 306 like there is unseen distortion.

I’m going to back again and check. Thanks though…keeps us honest when we have different observations.

Thanks

T

2 Likes

Yup…has more weight, no stress…

Obviously if your Vinyl set up gives you a certain sound that is different than mine and it sounds closer to 306, then it sound more analog to use and vise verse for me.

It’s great that PSA gives us these options…great structure

2 Likes

Came back to my DSD DAC today after being away for a week. Left it with a MAC MINI feeding it via generic USB. No sound output from the DAC. Tried a CD with COAX and Optical. No issues. Could not get any output from the DAC with a USB input. Cycled iTunes, no change. Cycled MAC MINI, cold boot. No Change. Cycled DAC and MAC MINI and restarted itunes, now have output from DAC. It appears I lost somewhere between 1-168 hours of burn in. Bummer. Not pleased. For a new device I expect better. Hopefully, this is an isolated case.

To my ear the unit still sounds as though additional burn in is necessary. Either that or it just is not my cup of tea.

The DS can be sensitive to USB cables. Are you using a certified USB cable and is it less than ten feet or so?

Belkin Gold, 1.5m length. I also just got a Curious Cable to try.

The interesting thing was the display showed the correct streaming input but I had no audio output when selecting the USB input.

Hmm . . . the Belkin should be fine.

Thanks for the assistance. I’ll continue with it and see if it recurs. If so I’ll touch base with PSA Technical Support. Clearly, I’ll hold off one loading Windom until the unit breaks in. I am getting a wide range of sounds now. Some times it sounds fantastic, and sometimes it sounds closed in with an upfront mid-rangey sound.

Others have similarly reported a variety of sound qualities as the unit breaks in.

Hey @weedeewop You should try to check out other topics here too ,so you would know that usb no sound problem is common bug. I had it too at times with Snowmass and only new firmware installation fixed it. I went back to Redcloud and then Snowmass and problem fixed.

Congrats for the Curious usb cable too. It needs long burning in period also like dsd dac. My Curious usb took easily about 200 hours or so to really open up. It sounded really bad at first,just like dsd dac. But they are both worth the wait :slightly_smiling_face: Keep em burning.

1 Like

I just tried a generic usb cable with mine. No issues. I am using an Auralic Aries mini streamer. Did have to go into the streamer’s settings to set the output to usb. Is there something similar in the MAC MINI?

So the intent of the thread is to report my “ear-witness” journey as I hear it. I’d expect the sound to shift with good and bad days. I don’t consider the changes to be a problem. That said there have been days when it sounded down right unpleasant. It will just need more time. Having no output when using the USB input was a surprise. The USB cable I am using has been fine, a Belkin Gold. Basically I left it for 8 days unattended to burn in. When I returned to give it a USB input stream but I had no audio output from the DAC. Coax and fiber were fine. Cold reboot for the server and DAC and now it is once again playing with a USB input.

The MAC Mini set-up in the Midi panel was fine, and the DAC display showed a USB stream input, just no audio output. Eventually it will have a Innuos Zenith Mk III server/streamer input. That unit is burning in in a different location at the moment. So to summarize the MAC Mini, and Belkin Gold USB cable are fine. My guess is a handshake hiccup between the MAC Mini and the DSD resulted in no audio output. The odd thing about it was the DSD DAC display showed a valid USB input.

Yes, I was more or less aware of a potential USB input problem going into this. Just reporting my experience.

Glad to hear all is fine.

It’s been more than 2 months now since the DS Sr. has been running non-stop (well almost). There was a period in between when Windom came out. Couldn’t restrain myself to upgrade from Snowmass 3.06. Went back and forth and finally settled back on SM 3.06. Got too caught up in trying to discern the differences and ended up not enjoying/listening to the music. Besides my speakers may not be revealing enough or my ears may not be able to hear the differences. I hope it’s the former.

Need to work on some room treatments now.

1 Like