New PS Audio speakers?

Packing boxes into the smallest volume possible is an activity that is almost as much fun as tetris when it came out

3 Likes

No kidding. My wife tells me that I missed my calling as a professional household mover.

1 Like

I made a similar comment on another thread about the installations. Hadn’t read this thread at that point … I understand the storage issue, I have a small area under some stairs in the basement that has all my PS Audio boxes, but I am out of room there. Currently have one extra box while I decide what to do with my DMP.

1 Like

I keep boxes for the warranty period and then till I run out of space. I typically keep equipment till it’s broken or worthless. If you buy shopkeeper deals that equipment mostly comes without the boxes as the dealer ran out of space before the equipment is sold. Nobody cares, as shop keepers tend to be the expensive stuff and shopkeeper deals are a bargain.

1 Like

This weekend I had the chance to go to Mala Audio Analog Center just outside Oslo and listen to the new FR30’s. I think Mala were one of the first dealers in Europe to get them for demo. They look even better in real life than I have seen on picture and the finish is very nice. They were put in a quite large listening room, 7x12 meter and with a ceiling height approx 4 meter. As you can see from the picture the electronics in front was top of the line. Constellation pre and mono blocs, Esoteric CD player and Aavik streamer/DAC. I listened to the FR30 for half an hour,playing different tracks, and I can tell you right away that this is a amazingly good sounding and balanced speaker. All instruments and voices sounds very natural, there is nothing pointing out, and the sound is seamless from bottom to top. When I sat down in front of the speakers I immediately start listening to the music in stead of listening to the gear or any defect in the sound. This tells me that the design of the speakers is very balanced, and natural sounding.Not too much/less base, mid range and top was airy and open with no edge. Speakers disappeared and the sound stage was wide and big, between and outside of the speakers. The system together with the FR30 sounded amazing, it was just like a I had a band playing live in front of me :hugs:
I also had the chance to listen to the same tracks in other listening rooms with other gear, but this was clearly the room with best and natural sound. This dealer is like a “candystore” for a hifi guy like me, and I had the chance to listen to other high end speakers like Børresen, Marten Parker etc, so it was a perfect day :grinning:
The only problem I can see with the FR30 is that they are too big for my listening room, so hopefully there will be a smaller version soon…

20 Likes

Hope you listened to the DS Audio optical cartridge system it is a game changer

2 Likes

Not this time, only streaming Qobuz via Roon.
But last time I was there I had the chance to listen to vinyl with optical cartridge…as you said…a game changer.

2 Likes

The only problem I can see with the FR30 is that they are too big for my listening room, so hopefully there will be a smaller version soon…

Indeed! When Paul was discussing the AN 30 at $15k, that would have been an option in this house. Will be interesting to see how this trickles down to that lofty initial goal, $15k.

2 Likes

Are these not built at PSA? I assume not. Who is building these then? Please don’t say China!!

Yes, built in China, this has been covered in an over the top fashion for months now, it’s all public knowledge on youtube vids and all over the forum.

2 Likes

Then I will be passing on them. I’ll keep my USA born and raised Maggies and JL Audio subs.

Thinking maybe the Dynaudio’s or Spatial Audio if I stay with open baffle

OK, I’ll bite.

Isn’t Dynaudio based in Denmark?

3 Likes

Dynaudio’s upper lines (Special, Contour, Confidence) are still made in Denmark, their lower cost lines are made in China.

3 Likes

Can the FR30 plays up to SPL of 98-100dB in in 11m X 7x X 3.7m size room?

My current speaker is Maggie 20.7. I love the open baffle sound character especially the highs.

Looking for the next pair of speaker that can match the Maggie in the openness of the sound but can play 1 octave lower (my 20.7 rolloff below 48hz in my room) and a can play higher SPL. (blew the 20.7 tweeter ribbon twice playing at above 95dB).

Looking forward to Paul or Christ advise.

1 Like

Dynaudio is a Chinese owned company since 2014…but yes, based in Denmark…

3 Likes

Yes, I think that we could be a great option for you, based on those criteria.

SPL is a function of listening distance (not so much room size, though there is a contribution from the rooms reverberant field), but these can play 115 dB peaks (in half space - no room contributions included) at the rated input power at 1m.

I wouldn’t say that the FR30 sound like open baffle speakers, but planars do have a bit of a family sound in that there is an openness and lack of grain in the midrange and treble due to the wide bandwidth, very quick decay and high damping.

3 Likes

Interesting point, Chris

Given that the midrange driver in the new speakers is a planar magnetic (I think) how would you characterize the sound of the FR30’s in comparison to electrostatic planars through the mids and highs?

I have the same Maggie’s

As an owner of 20.7 myself I am curious about your experiences blowing the tweeter. Do you recall if the 95dB sound level was actually concentrated in the tweeter region? Also, had you removed or altered the fuses on the tweeter?

I popped a ribbon as well on my Magnepan 20.7’s. Only time in the 6 years I owned them. Pink Floyd- The Wall album. My buddy wanted it louder until it wasn’t 🫣.

Magnepan will send you a full ribbon tweeter assembly so it’s basically plug and play (or unscrew and re-screw) then send your dead tweeter back as they can reuse the assembly, or you can have them rebuilt by a competent technician.