NuWave Phono Converter

I’m confused, isn’t it a Phono-to-Digital Converter, PDC?

You would be correct if that was what the device is. The NPC (I still think Non Player Character from my D&D days when I see NPC) is two devices in one box. There are separate Phono and Converter stages that can be used simultaneously and independently. The fact that there is a switch that can connect them internally rather than having to use external interconnects does not make them a single function.

Semantics… SHEESH! :smiley:

And yes Streets, I am aware that your comment may not have been quite so literal and/or serious. :slight_smile:

J.P.

@sgrowan I agree with you that we should be consistent in our naming but not sure how to do that. The NPC is a full on, PerfectWave quality piece, in a half size chassis. There are no compromises that we made - that perhaps we might have done in the NuWave DAC vs. the PerfectWave DAC.

So it is a bit confusing I’ll admit. PerfectWave has always meant both the best we make as well as full chassis - specific to the PerfectWave. Ideas?

Hello Paul,

Is there a chance that you can show us some detailed pictures of the new NPC or a link.

I just cannot bear the suspense.

Thank you again,

Terry

There will always be a crossover point between the performance, branding and customer perception between model ranges.

Similar to buying a top of the line VW at the price point of an “entry level” Audi.

Nobody wants a “lesser” product but there are usually powerful $$ budget and affordability issues when purchasing.

My impression thus far is that NuWave is not a category “entry level” product range but a PSA “entry level” where the prestige factor of ownership is Audiophile level but still in the “great bang for the buck” category. There is a difference.

For those that can afford “less engineering compromise” there is the PW range and this sets the review standard for the Manufacturer’s “image”.

Size of the BOX also has a play here from a matchy matchy perspective but for the future I believe that “smaller is better” is a strong selling factor due to the fewer and fewer “man-cave” set ups.

This product seems to come close to solving an issue I have… how to connect analog sources with their own volume control (read: home theater processor) to the amplifier in a system with the PWD directly feeding the amp.

The “close” part has to do with the PWD’s lack of ability to remember volume settings for individual inputs… it remembers the last volume state, but applies that to all inputs. If I could leave one input at 100% without fear of this being applied to other sources without volume controls… problem solved.

Any chance on a firmware update for the PWD that could remember volume settings by input?

Paul, I think that the error is in attaching the product line name to the chassis. While on one side I do get the association, I feel that the much stronger association is with the performance level. Audiophiles have come to know the PerfectWave as the the premier PERFORMANCE product line and are indeed accustomed to seeing the familiar full-size PW chassis.

With the NuWave DAC you have established the NuWave product line as PS Audio’s lower performance product line. Admittedly, the NuWave DAC is a fine piece of gear, but not quite in the same league as the PWD. Now you introduce the NuWave Phono Converter. The first association there is NuWave - oh… this must be a lower performance product. When are they coming out with a PerfectWave phono and/or ADC? I want the top tier equipment, not the second tier.

Now, due to the name chosen to match the chassis rather than the product performance tier you are burdened with the task of convincing me that this is really a PerfectWave performance level product but it is built into the chassis developed fo the second-tier product line because the Phono Converter does not need the space or expense of the PW chassis.

I admit that I may be a bit unconventional in that I care FAR less about what it liiks like than how it performs. I even prefer the simple clean aesthetics of the NuWave chassis style - either full size as in the P3 or half size in the NWD - over that of the PerfectWave chassis. I don’t have a problem with the idea of using the NuWave chassis for matching the chassis size to the product needs and calling the product PerfectWave to establish its performance level in marketing.

Intellectually, I fully understand that the updoming Phono Converter is a PerfectWave level product, just built in a smaller chassis. I still feel a disconnect in using the second tier name for a top tier product simply because of the chassis used. I have a PerfectWave DAC, I would like to match it with a PerfectWave Phono Converter rather than a high performing second tier NuWave Phono Converter.

Unfortunately, I fear that it may be too late in the preproduction cycle to change the name. I hope that the NPC name does not cost PS Audio more in marketing than changing the name now would in production tooling.

J.P.

1 Like

I agree, the PerfectWave brand as a product line level means more the chassis size it’s housed in. If this is the top of the line product it should be called a PerfectWave. Now I read the boards every day and know this is going to be the top of the line product. But I also know that if I didn’t, I would be one of the people waiting for a PerfectWave version to come down the pipes.

I think PerfectWave means the best you have to offer…period…and has nothing to do with the size chassis it comes in.

Of course, if you have a large number of these chassis that have been purchased and are interchangeable between the NuWave DAC and the new Phono Converter, and they are already somehow branded with NuWave on them, I can see how this could be a way to help keep costs under control.

One way around that would be for Paul to take a gold pen and sign his name to the front of each unit and elevate them to a “Signature” edition. Hey…It’s worked before!

T

Or call it a “PerfectWave Mini” chassis.

:slight_smile:

–SSW

Must say you have confused me brand wise, this is PSA best work, best product, one that you will hang your hat on (a reference if you will) and you call it a nuwave instead of perfectwave because its in a smaller box?

Whilst this will probably come across all wrong i’ll say it anyway, if aint a perfectwave it won’t be on my shopping list. Read into that what you will.

By the way i love the Paul Posts, i learn something new every day. Thank you.

Thanks. I think we’re going to stick with NuWave and I’ll tell you why. Several of you have pointed out that there may be room for improvement - even if it is adding more input choices, better connectors, better power supply etc. That we cannot do in this small chassis - so while I believe the ADC inside this device is as good as an ADC gets, and the phono stage is completely built without compromise, I do recognize that someday perhaps we would want to take it a notch up - and that would be in a larger chassis, called a PerfectWave. I’d like to leave room for that should this product category take off and warrant it.

For now, let’s treat this as an accessory - and suggest that for the money - or even twice the money - I don’t think anyone’s going to do better.

Paul McGowan said: I'd like to leave room for that should this product category take off

Very good thinking.

I expect people will be very pleased with the product.

So the NuWave Phono Converter IS an entry level product!! PS Audio’s high end entry into a fairly new and currently very small market niche. :smiley: One that PS Audio and the NPC will help to grow.

There are a few Phono/ADCs on the market, but all of the others are less than stellar - the best that I can think of is the little GT-40. While it is nice, I passed on it quite some time back as being well below the performance level that I desire. The rest of the currently available Phono/ADCs are all closer to those cheap USB turntables. Yuck!

J.P.

I love the concept, especially as the unit has a separate analog input for other ADC uses. It also should feel comfortable for the average audiophile - many tend to be intimidated by pro equipment.

Sounds like a very strong business plan to me. Can’t wait to replace my GCPH with this.

T

Thanks. I think we're going to stick with NuWave and I'll tell you why. Several of you have pointed out that there may be room for improvement - even if it is adding more input choices, better connectors, better power supply etc. That we cannot do in this small chassis - so while I believe the ADC inside this device is as good as an ADC gets, and the phono stage is completely built without compromise, I do recognize that someday perhaps we would want to take it a notch up - and that would be in a larger chassis, called a PerfectWave. I'd like to leave room for that should this product category take off and warrant it.

For now, let's treat this as an accessory - and suggest that for the money - or even twice the money - I don't think anyone's going to do better.

Hi Paul,

Okay understood, puts a new dimension on my thinking, looking forward to seeing/hearing it.

Just finished watching your video, nice way for me to start the working week.... daydreaming... :-)

Thank you.

great idea to mix both. As a collector & jazz journalist in France, I digitalize my big collection with a Korg MR2000, a pro machine + a phono stage made by Whest (UK). Hope to make test soon and my wife would love to see 1 machine instead of 2. I love vinyl but I love to make make some transfer. Many jazz records have never been available on CD/SACD

Welcome, Donnypitts!

It will be fun to learn what you think when you get a unit to try.

I’ve allready preordered it in black from my dealer Golden Age Music

PerS

A very interesting product. I’m not in the market as I love my Decware phono preamp (I love tubes) and the Decware CSP2+ preamp adds majic to my PWD Mk II as well, and I don’t do digital files (I’m becoming more and more of a luddite in that I am moving away from computers and have never liked computers for music). But I have a hunch this will be a successful product.