Octave Records: two 45-rpm selections

Previously, I posted…

Well today I can confirm and extend my remarks, comparing the 2 45-rpm Octave vinyls with Octave dsd versions of these recordings.

My 20-year-old analog setup is simply superior to top ESS-chip dacs.

Confidence, strength, clarity, transient response (notably in drum kit strikes of various drums and cymbals), wider frequency delivery, enhanced subtle sounds, enhanced presence…

And the most important variable to me: enhanced instrument/voice character and individuality (I played trumpet, clarinet, sax, electric/double bass, and tuba…I know what they sound like in front of me or at my side, a few feet away, dozens of feet away, and hundreds of feet away.)

The Octave music was simply more beautiful, rich, and complete in my comparison…a dsd recording produced in vinyl vs a dsd file played through top ESS dacs.

Remaining for my audition is a PSA DSD MkII and the ultras like MSB, DCS, and others. Hint, hint…anyone with such a dac close to Sarasota?

My objective is to acquire a dac that will virtually eliminate the difference between hi-res digital and good-or-better analog playback.

2 Likes