Opinion on High End Streaming Quality vs Compact Discs

I’m definitely happy with my system so far, just curious on which direction to take the next step and since I’m blown away with my CD / SACD setup I’m focusing on my streamer.

I’m still taking the “hybrid approach” where I use Amazon Music to stream from my phone to an Audioengine BT DAC device (B1) feeding my second system (tube integrated and single driver efficient speakers). If I hear something new (to me) that’s especially fab I’ll locate physical media (often used CDs) and own it for good. This simple inexpensive method of streaming reveals sound quality sufficient to have a very good idea of the CD’s SQ. Haven’t been unpleasantly surprised yet.

EDIT: And I’m with @aangen, those silver discs have a lot of outstanding sound hiding in there. My less-than-crazy expensive digital front end (Jay’s Audio Transport into DS DAC) is so sweet I listen for hours on end with no fatigue whatsoever. Very pleasing to rediscover what Redbook can do (again…still?)

7 Likes

I’m using a similar approach with the caveat that at some point we can get streaming to the quality of those silver discs as they become harder and harder to source. And speaking of sources, it’s still amazing to hear wide variations in the same song via differnt streams / albums etc. For example I can hear a track off an album then off a greatest hits and they can sound like 2 different masters (which they very might could be). Appreciate your feedback.

2 Likes

Those “little silver disk” are packed full of goodies waiting
to be rediscovered…even the poorly recorded ones.

Best wishes

2 Likes

Been using an Innuos Zen Mk3 for over 3 years and its end game for me. I use their Sense app via usb. Will rip all your CDs. Don’t know how they compare as haven’t played a CD since 2009. What’s SACD?

1 Like

Heads up, new Innuos Statement out with upgraded power supply, $24k in the States. Maybe a little less in the UK.

I bought an Innuos Zen MK3 after being very happy with my CEC TL5 CD transport for many years. It played into a few DACs, most notably a Graham Slee Majestic and Chord Qutest.
Then one day, after a year of being badgered by my Audio friends, we had a little shootout between the CEC transport and Project StreamBox 2. The Project bettered the transport in clarity, soundstage and dynamics, while the transport brought a weightier sound and nicer colours/textures.
Then we inserted a Chord Hugo 2/2Go driving the power amps directly and WOW it was on another level. So I started streamer shopping and chose the Innuos precisely because I wanted to use my CD library. I have around 3/4 of my library ripped to it now.
Feeding a Hugo TT2 - M700 - Kanta 2 system, the difference between CD and streaming the same album is so close as to not be a concern. I love the Zen MK3 and only regret not waiting a little longer and getting the Zenith instead.
I will say that what closed the obvious gap that existed between streaming and local files (CD) was sorting out Ethernet and USB cables. The Ethernet in particular.
Cheers
Mick

7 Likes

A very respectable transport, by all accounts.

This (the overall excellence of ripped and downloaded files on a hard drive) continues to be my experience, with the exception of certain well-recorded SACDs and CDs. The addition of the PSA DMP to my system has closed the gap to the point that I will spin a good CD or SACD rather than pull the file from my stored files, when I want to sit down, focus and enjoy the whole “record”.

3 Likes

Thanks! This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.

Thanks for chiming I too. I appreciate it.

1 Like

By the way, my current “high end” streamer is the Bridge II Ethernet card in the DS DAC.*

FWIW.

*Plus a host of ancillary devices intended to isolate and prevent noise in the digital stream.

With my Ethos CD Transport/DAC a 16.44.1k CD blows away a 24.96k file on my most excellent streamer. Hard to believe but sit down in my chair and let me prove it to you.

Transports are capable of huge surprises. The Silver Disc can sound a lot better than the ripped and accurate files. It is the same ones and zeroes in each case but somehow Gryphon has discovered the secret magic in each disc and will delight and amaze you when you hear it.

Blindfolded of course.

11 Likes

I don’t doubt that at all given your very impressive transport / DAC set up. I happen to be in the modest camp where an Innuos might just be comparable to what I’m doing versus your setup. It’s nice to know that you’ve been able to achieve such resolution which give me hope and confidence to maintain my current collection. Thanks for confirm what’s possible.

1 Like

It is apparent to me that “everything” matters, in the sense that a given system approach (streaming files from a home network or spinning discs) may be superior depending on the system components and the recordings.

I have no doubt you have found a superior disc spinner. On the other hand, my “in-house” streaming system generally sounds better than my disc spinner (its Bridge II and JRiver Media Center vs. the PSA DMP transport in my case).

Currently the overall best sound quality for a given recording and a given resolution is as follows (top to “bottom”):

1. Local files Wi-Fi to router to Bridge II/DS DAC care of JRiver Media Center (with various and sundry low noise power supplies and “galvanic isolation” devices strewn throughout signal path).

2. CDs and SACDs spun up on the PSA DMP (via I2S output to the DS DAC)

3. Qobuz, Tidal and local files “rendered” via Roon (same signal path, using same computer with same noise abatement tweaks and gizmos as is employed when using JRMC)

Two important caveats –

First, the overall difference in sound quality and enjoyment among the options is relatively small (I could easily live with any of the options over time if I did not have the luxury of choosing among them).

Second, on any given listen the “right” file format/performance/recording will be superior when listening to it one way as compared to the other two. :man_shrugging:

PS

I have JRMC and Roon both set such that all signal processing is defeated; and I often listen with my eyes closed, but never blindfolded.

2 Likes

I no longer own a spinner for CD’s or Records so streaming from Qobuz or locally stored files via Roon is just right.

3 Likes

Correct answers one and all.

2 Likes

Did you use the “ethernet/fiber/ethernet” method to isolate the ethernet noise? I replaced the Bridge II with a Euphony Summus 2 server, but PST playing SACD, and well recorded CD is still better in my case. So, I guess I could future improve my streaming chain somewhere.

Short answer is “yes, more or less”.

Long answer is –

I have been tweaking the digital signal chain over time (several years) and have not taken the opportunity to conduct some focused A/B/A’ing so I might have added some things that don’t really matter now (or even taken a slight step backwards here and there), but my digital signal chain has never been “quieter”.

Roon Core, JRMedia Center and ripped and downloaded files reside on my iMac backed up to a NAS and following is how the files flow from the iMac to the DS DAC:

iMac > Modem/Router (via Wi-Fi not wired) The iMac is in a different room on a different floor of the house.

Modem/Router Ethernet > Eero Wi-Fi Mesh “base station” (via Ethernet cable)

Eero base station > TPLink media converter (via Ethernet cable)

TPLink media converter > TPLink media converter (via optical cable)

TPLink media converter > Netgear passive Ethernet switch (via Ethernet cable)

Netgear switch > Zyxel passive Ethernet switch (via Ethernet cable)

[My system does stereo/“home theater” double duty so I need the switches for all of the internet connected sources.]

Zyxel Ethernet switch > GigaFOILv4-INLINE Ethernet Filter (via Wireworld Cable Technology Chroma 8 Ethernet Cable)

GigaFOIL Ethernet Filter > Pink Faun LAN Isolator (via Wireworld Cable Technology Starlight 8 Ethernet Cable)

Pink Faun LAN Isolator > PSA Bridge II Ethernet Card/DS DAC (the Pink Faun plugs directly into the Bridge II and the Wireworld cable plugs directly into the Pink Faun)

The Ethernet switches, TPLink media converters and the GigaFOIL are all powered by iFi low noise “wall wart-style” power supplies.

I should probably try pulling one or more of the LAN/galvanic isolation gizmos out of the system to see if they are needed at this point, but I don’t have a mind to. :man_shrugging:

Thanks for indulging me with my long answer.

Good luck to you.

PS

Nearly all of the noise reducing kit, including the switches, Wireworld cables and most of the iFi power supplies were purchased used. I bought the Pink Faun LAN Isolator directly from the manufacture/proprietor. Great folks to deal with by the way.

5 Likes

By all accounts (at least on this forum) the PST is a superior performer compared to the DMP. I have not had the pleasure of comparing the two. Keep in mind that the PST might be a material reason (or at least a contributing reason) why discs trump files in your system.

Cheers.

1 Like

You are such a gadget guy! That’s a great solution you’ve put together.