Paul and/or Ted - A question on Fiber Optics

Elk said
Ted Smith said If you happen to have BNC/RCA mismatches feel free to put a RCA/BNC adapter wherever you need it or want it.

I have a number of pieces of kit with BNC connectors. I mix and match with adapters and make cables with BNC on one end; RCA, the other. All with no issue. I have yet to hear a difference.

Thanks Elk and Ted. I am running a Nordost Valhalla WBT-RCA 75 ohm cable between a Bryston BDP-1 (BNC) to the DirectStream (RCA) and it sounds very nice to me, but with all the sonic differences people are hearing with USB cables it is worth asking the question. Before I had the Direct stream I was using a Peachtree Grand Integrated as my DAC and had Morrow Audio make up a XLR to RCA cable of their top-of-line design (talk about mixing impedances) and that sound great also. I asked Mike Morrow if his 75 ohm cables were truly 75 ohm, and he said he had “no idea.”

I will be attending AXPONA in a few weeks (I wish Paul and Ted were coming!) and I think I will contact Nordost, who does a very cool demo of progressive changes that are very audible, and ask if they would bring an RCA terminated S/PDIF cable and a BNC terminated S/PDIF cable to compare in their demo. I like Ted’s explanation of how the DS receiver handles the incoming signal. It just saved me about $360 of re-termination costs.

Coincidentally, I have a BDP-2. The S/PDIF coaxial out is connected to the DS via a cable terminated with BNC on one end and RCA on the other. I have compared and it sounds as good as the other BDP-2 outputs.

Bryston’s pro roots favor BNC. A number of pro manufacturers, such as Benchmark, commonly include an adapter.

As a matter of theology, I prefer to avoid adapters when I can. Cables terminated BNC/RCA are both readily available, custom made by any pro cable shop (Redco Audio, Pro Audio LA, etc.), or easily made at home.

Elk said Coincidentally, I have a BDP-2. The S/PDIF coaxial out is connected to the DS via a cable terminated with BNC on one end and RCA on the other. I have compared and it sounds as good as the other BDP-2 outputs.

Bryston’s pro roots favor BNC. A number of pro manufacturers, such as Benchmark, commonly include an adapter.

As a matter of theology, I prefer to avoid adapters when I can. Cables terminated BNC/RCA are both readily available, custom made by any pro cable shop (Redco Audio, Pro Audio LA, etc.), or easily made at home.

Thanks, Elk. I too prefer to avoid adaptors. That was why I was a little surprised when the Nordost reps suggested I re-term my Valhalla to BNC on both ends and use the the adaptor now on the DS end as opposed the Bryston end. I don’t think Nordost’s profitability depends on my spending money on two re-terms, so I am sure they believe in the recommendation. A cable I might try again is a Morrow Audio DIG4 with XLR on both ends, just for the heck of it. That would free up the RCA input on the DS for another source.

Elk said

As a matter of theology, I prefer to avoid adapters when I can.
I looks like Ted has tried to follow the theology of "cable ignosticism" which may not get you to heaven, but might sound heavenly just the same.

:)

An unseemly way to get your attention? I posted a note on absolute phase on July 4 and no one has said anything helpful. Let me make it clear that I became aware of the efficacy of absolute phase switching in the mid '70s (Quad 57s at that time) and had to onorously switch the Quads and subwoofers manually. So happy when I got a Coherence preamp (no longer working) and could switch right from the remote. This happiness continued when I got the Perfect Wave DAC. When I listened to a recording for a few seconds I either got a phase accuracy pleasure or pain. When I switched, I was right about 3/4 of the time. With the Direct Stream I, the DAC Phase switch produces a small (but beneficial) difference, but infinitesimal compared to my previous experiences. A structural reason for this, something wrong with the DAC, something I could do to remedy it? Thanks for your attention, and I really do love the Direct Stream DAC.