Pit of Despair: I need Miracle Max

Best of luck and wishing you a complete and speedy recovery Streets.

I hope hope hope hope you get this fixed!!!

So sorry. My bride had this exact experience about five years ago. The immediate steroids will hopefully help; she was told that if she’d been diagnosed sooner and gotten the steroid shots she’d have probably regained most of her hearing loss. Alas, military training hospitals aren’t great with the diagnosis stage of disease.

I’ll be praying for you.

Mike in Dayton

1 Like

Mike and everyone,

Thanks very much.

I got my first steroid shot 4 days after the onset of the hearing loss, hopefully that was soon enough.

I did notice yesterday that when I listened to the car radio and plugged my left ear, I could understand the words on the radio with the right ear, albeit at a much reduced volume than the left ear. And last night during my spin exercise routine (wife is an ex-spin instructor, so I have a separate kluge stereo to play her lessons on when I spin) I noticed a bit of imaging, not great, but at least something is kinda getting through?

I turned the volume down so as not to re-injure the healing process any. Can only wait at this point.

MRI can’t be done until the machine is available on May 16th. Second shot of steroid into the ear is a week from tomorrow, plus full 60 mg daily dose of oral steroid until then, i.e., 2 full weeks on 60 mg a day.

The only problem with prednizone: Great drug, lousy side effects.

–SSW

10 Likes

Fingers and toes crossed. Be well.

3 Likes

As of today: The land-line dial tone in my right ear actually sounds close to being a real dial tone. I can now understand speech on the radio through the right ear when my left ear is held closed. (Before: fuhgeddaboudit)

There is now a image/ directionality to sound sources that wasn’t there earlier (so even if a car passed me on my right, the sound had seemed to come from my left, but now the sonic image of the noise source is closer to where it actually is around me.

Sometimes music actually sounds like music through the right ear and the clipped high-frequencies/buzzing that was constant earlier do happen, but now rarely. There doesn’t seem to be much low (e.g. 30 Hz) frequency content like the left ear.

I’m listening to the stereo a lower levels so I don’t jinx it and do more damage to the torn area as it heals.

But, yeah, “Let it Go” actually sounded kinda musical . . . .

FWIW.

–SSW

12 Likes

Maybe the right ear was only “mostly dead”?

:slight_smile:

Here’s hoping Miracle Max can finish the job!

3 Likes

Sounds like you’re on the mend! :wave: :wave: :wave:

1 Like

If you can hear your wife, you know all is well! Well, for her . . . :rofl:

1 Like

Maybe the right ear was only “mostly dead”?

:rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

Scotte, you made my day. That was perfect. I laughed/cried for 5 minutes.

Yes, it means the ear was slightly alive . . . .

Thanks. I needed that.

–SSW

1 Like

Ha! Best of luck to you.

Heal quickly.

1 Like

Wonderful news! Good for Max.

Bye-bye, boys! Have fun stormin’ da castle!

1 Like

I hope the recovery continues and you get back to normal. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Yes, hang in there and fingers and toes crossed!

Go, go, go! This is good news.

Prayers being said. Sure hope you get back to normal soon!!

Oh, did your wife wompsh you on the right ear for doing something wrong??? (maybe you were snoring too loud)

1 Like

Glad to hear you’ve turned the corner,

I suffer from hyperacusis in my right ear. Too many years of hammers, drills, motorbikes…you know. Music helps me keep hearing the best I can.

Keep doing the music therapy at low levels. It’s good for the brain.

1 Like

Status report:

OK, second steroid shot behind the eardrum today. Things have improved, but not quite 100% yet. I do understand speech from the right ear now and music actually sounds like music, not clipped, with decent staging and imaging, but low frequencies aren’t there in the right ear like in the left, so I’m not getting down to 20 Hz yet on the right ear.

Will continue the oral steroid (gaaaaah, everything tastes bitter like steroid now) but at least I can enjoy some music for now.

So: Gotta do that as long as I can!

the doc’s don’t know why this happens, sometimes it can be a blood vessel problem in the cochlea. So all I can do now is wait and see if it stays working or degrades again over time.

–SSW

14 Likes