I received my new Stellar as a result of the March 2023 sale about a week ago and finally got around to reconfiguring my system racks that required removing of my old reliable NPC and installing the Stellar in its place. After about an hour or so of moving, dusting, and re-cabling everything I was ready to enjoy the new preamp. I flipped the switch on the Stellar and beautiful blue and red LEDs illuminated and I, or so I thought, was ready to listen.
I popped two of the five supplied “AAA” batteries into the remote and tried to change the loading, gain, input selector and unmute on the Stellar but I got nothing. Zero. Nada. Bupkiss. Either the remote was bad or the Stellar was not “listening”. Both of those assumptions were wrong. Whoever packed my Stellar put the incorrect remote in the box. The remote I got was a little plastic job instead of the possible metal one pictured in the manual.
Perturbed, on Friday I called into PS Audio (name withheld) and told them of what had happened and the nice person on the other end of the line apologized profusely and promised to get the correct remote out to me overnight for delivery on Saturday (yesterday). In an email, the nice person in Boulder assured me that he had personally handed the shipping label to whoever it was that was going to ship the replacement remote out. Nothing came so I assume that something broke down at PS Audio or was otherwise lost in translation.
Until I get a remote, my new Stellar is about as useful as a boat anchor. Why? Because several critical functions (input (MC/MM) select, loading, gain) can only be controlled via remote. There must have been a reason that the design engineer chose to have these critical functions be made slave to a set of batteries and/or a remote but a couple of buttons on the front would seem to not be out of the question. The “mute” function can be toggled via a long press on the PS logo light on the left side of the Stellar so there is that.
I apologize if I sound sarcastic, but I am upset that my new Stellar has been relegated to “boat anchor” status until Boulder sends me the correct remote.
Thanks for letting me know it’s plastic. The picture in the user’s manual gave me the impression is was metal. Possibly early ones were metal and soaring production costs have factored into how things are being made these days.
I have a system with an IR sensor to receive the remote commands, converts and transmits those signals via RF link and then retransmits then via a single high- powered IR “blaster”. Also, Logitech used to make remotes that would do the same.