PP P3 + Stillpoints Ultra Mini = good

Hi,

I’m using Herbie’s Tenderfeet between my two Powerbases and the PWD II and my Coda preamp. They just cleaned things up a little better than just Powerbases. I did try the IsoCups about a year ago under my preamp, but liked the Tenderfeet there best. From what I’ve read IsoCups do better under tube equipment.

Steven B-)

Holy c**p! Those Ultras are expensive (like you guys said). Anyone have experience with their ERS cloth?

Re Herbies: I have Iso-cups with the high-end bases under both my amps (one tube, one ss). On the tube amp, which drives the mid/upper portion of my speakers, I have Herbie’s tube dampers – very good. Tall tenderfeet under source components and power conditioners. One surprise came when I put the thin grungebuster dots between the shelves and steel rails of my SolidSteel racks. This cleaned up the sound noticeably, something which I was not expecting. I figured the dots were so cheap I would just try them and they helped! Under my speaker spikes I have Herbie’s bases, whose actual name I forget right now – metal (brass, I think) disks with teflon pads below. These were not only a sonic improvement over the generic metal disks that came with the speakers, they also make it easy to move the speakers around on the hardwood floors. :slight_smile:

Ok I decided to experiment with the Ultra SSs under my speakers. The improvements are more subtle than when I placed them under my components. Immediately I noticed notes lingering just a bit longer and low level details became more readily apparent. The perceived size of voices also got a bit larger and moved forward in the soundstage giving more sense of depth. People have said there are more significant improvements when used with speakers but my experiences do not reflect this. I don’t know if its because the Sonus Faber stands and spikes are very well designed or because I didn’t actually screw the Ultra SSs into the base. I need to audition these again but with the necessary adapters.

oddeophile said: Wow, should sell them on Audiogon or something.

ALL GONE!
That was pretty quick! {Canuk Audio Mart}.

Maybe we can get Paul Wakeen to offer a Stillpoints deal to PSA forum like Herbie did?
Anyone know i well?
It is more than 10 years since I spoke with him last.

Sort of a side note to vibration isolation. In one version of my homebrew speakers I attached the mid/tweeter driver to the open baffle woofer. Disaster. This destroyed the sound. Now they are attached to a nearby railing and all is well. I suppose that I should make separate stands for them a isolate the stands from the floor.

Attached files

How do you get your P3 to balance properly on 4 Stillpoints ? 3 is self balancing, 4 is not with these solid footers. Most of the weight of my P5 is at the power input end of the chassis with the transformer, so I put 2 Ultra-Mini Stillpoints under each of those corners. The third is placed under the mid-point of the opposite end providing a stable footing. The forth is irrelevant and would cause rocking.

Sorry papaned, I am afraid I don’t understand your question. Why would 4 feet cause rocking?

Sorry, I now recall that they have a very small amount of height adjustment which would take out any rocking and permit the fourth footer to share the load at the light end. So what additional benefit does the fourth provide when the unit is already stable on three ? I don’t see the purpose of the fourth. It’s like the 4 adjustable footers on some new speakers that I see. My custom speaker stands came with 3 points.

As each Stillpoint works by reducing vibrational energy, the thinking is that four absorbs more unwanted movement than three.

I agree with you that it is much easier to work with three.

You guys got me thinking so I went ahead and removed the 4th Stillpoint from my system. Luckily either I don’t have acute enough hearing or my system is not resolving enough but I don’t hear any difference! Thanks guys. You just saved me some serious money. Drinks on me!

Btw, maybe I am just odd but I find working with 4 easier. With 3 I have to fiddle around to find the right balance point for the third Stillpoint. For example, with my Accustic Arts Power 1, most of the weight is at the back left side of the unit so it isn’t as easy for me to simply putting the third foot in the back center caused the unit to be unstable. No big deal but with 4 it’s a no brainer for me, just put them all in the corners and forget about it.

Since weight and power are usually towards the back, try the 2 points in the back and the single in the front.

Easier to set up and adjust. works well as long as you are not constantly touching the equipment.

+1

Gordon’s placement suggestion typically works for me as a good start. Not only is the weight typically more toward the back, power cords and interconnects tend to pull the unit back and two supports helps with this.

Hmmm…looking at the P3, the transformer is at the right front corner but for the most part Gordon is probably right.

Maybe try putting a point as near to the geometric centre of the transformer as possible, then one at the the back on the same side, roughly symmetrical from the sides. Then make the triangle from these to the opposite sides - it will be an isosceles. I’ve found that’s worked pretty well with equipment where the transformer is up front.

I also put 3 Stillpoints under my Pass Xa30.5 amp. The large transformer is in front so balancing it was simple-two in front and one under the rear center. The amp is perfectly stable. A forth would be redundant.

Indeed. As one audio sales guy once pointed out most helpfully about levelling equipment, “well as you know, three points define a plane.”

Another suggestion, if you’re not doing this. The Stillpoints should be sitting on a vibration absorbing plinth or blocks, not just on a shelf or floor. I use 1’ thick Mpingo wood blocks under my P5.