PS Audio Music Server In The Pipeline?

An interesting and enlightening post. Thanks!

Paul McGowan said Metadata and its retrieval, curation, and organizing is the single biggest challenge of the project. We use Roon as our standard and to date, we're percentages higher in capture and accuracy, but it's already taken more than a year of research, coding and hard thought to get there.
I can only begin to imagine.

As to the Playlists, just recently getting the PWT, I find it quite inconsistent. Vinyl Studio uses Discogs and that works quite well. For those who want to upgrade their data, having a link to Discogs would help,

And one other thing, neither the PWT or the Playlist show total time. Or if they do, I havenā€™t found it. Does the DMP show total time?

Will the Octave include a transport for ripping?

Interesting about that transport question.

I had just assumed that the memory player would serve as the source for ripping CDs.

Sort of made sense to me.

Wonder if thatā€™s actually what they have in mind?

Bruce

jeffstarr said As to the Playlists, just recently getting the PWT, I find it quite inconsistent. Vinyl Studio uses Discogs and that works quite well. For those who want to upgrade their data, having a link to Discogs would help,

And one other thing, neither the PWT or the Playlist show total time. Or if they do, I havenā€™t found it. Does the DMP show total time?

Octave, just to be clear, is the name of the music management software that will control a number of future PS devices and peopleā€™s music libraries. The first server to incorporate Octave will be our top of the line and yes, it will include a ripping engine. Itā€™ll be completely automatic. One can sit and stuff discs in while watching TV and drinking beer and Octave does the rest for you.

1 Like
bruces said Interesting about that transport question.

I had just assumed that the memory player would serve as the source for ripping CDs.

Sort of made sense to me.

Wonder if thatā€™s actually what they have in mind?

Bruce

Good thought but no, we never intended it to be a ripper. Much different technology and OS to do that. DMP is focused as a state of the art player of optical discs.

Paul McGowan said
jeffstarr said As to the Playlists, just recently getting the PWT, I find it quite inconsistent. Vinyl Studio uses Discogs and that works quite well. For those who want to upgrade their data, having a link to Discogs would help,

Octave, just to be clear, is the name of the music management software that will control a number of future PS devices and peopleā€™s music libraries. The first server to incorporate Octave will be our top of the line and yes, it will include a ripping engine. Itā€™ll be completely automatic. One can sit and stuff discs in while watching TV and drinking beer and Octave does the rest for you.

I reckon this is not a robot, i.e. it will only rip one disc at the time to Flac and do automatic tagging in library.

I also hope you will be able to do DSD 512 upsampling inside FPGA (like a competitor of yours will do in their server in Q2-2017), however this will probably not work with the DS as the renderer.

Paul McGowan said We use Roon as our standard and to date, we're percentages higher in capture and accuracy, but it's already taken more than a year of research, coding and hard thought to get there.
Paul, thank you for this post -- it's very informative and clarifies some of the differences between the Playlist feature for the PWT/DMP vs what you will do in the future. The results you've achieved so far (quoted above) are very impressive indeed.
And then there's classical - a subject of which we are dedicated to getting better than what's come before, though I would never claim it can be as good as any of us want. It surely can be a lot better and to date, Octave has proven itself well. More to come.
Wow! I had no expectations at all for classical music (which is the majority of my listening) with Octave since experiences in the past have not been good. If there is any way I can help with this, please let me know. I do know quite a bit about both classical music and the issues involved with its tagging/metadata.
Sometimes -- in my experience, about 1/4 of the time -- when the disc isn't in PSA's own database, it offers to take you to Discogs. Most of the discs I have are, in fact, present in Discogs. Getting the software to offer the Discogs option whenever it doesn't find the disc in-house is my #1 suggestion for improving the Playlist.
Does the DMP show total time?
No.
magister said I had no expectations at all for classical music (which is the majority of my listening) with Octave since experiences in the past have not been good.
Ditto. It's exciting if the typical taqgger recognizes the recording, and spells the composer's and performer's names correctly.
magister said
Paul McGowan said We use Roon as our standard and to date, we're percentages higher in capture and accuracy, but it's already taken more than a year of research, coding and hard thought to get there.

Paul, thank you for this post ā€“ itā€™s very informative and clarifies some of the differences between the Playlist feature for the PWT/DMP vs what you will do in the future. The results youā€™ve achieved so far (quoted above) are very impressive indeed.

And then there's classical - a subject of which we are dedicated to getting better than what's come before, though I would never claim it can be as good as any of us want. It surely can be a lot better and to date, Octave has proven itself well. More to come.

Wow! I had no expectations at all for classical music (which is the majority of my listening) with Octave since experiences in the past have not been good. If there is any way I can help with this, please let me know. I do know quite a bit about both classical music and the issues involved with its tagging/metadata.

Thanks. I will be reaching out for serious volunteers sometime next year. Weā€™ll take all the help we can get.

1 Like
magister said

Sometimes ā€“ in my experience, about 1/4 of the time ā€“ when the disc isnā€™t in PSAā€™s own database, it offers to take you to Discogs. Most of the discs I have are, in fact, present in Discogs. Getting the software to offer the Discogs option whenever it doesnā€™t find the disc in-house is my #1 suggestion for improving the Playlist.

Does the DMP show total time?

No.

But it will. Next update will have total tracks and time.

After going through the eLyric experience youā€™re a brave bunch to take this on, Paul. I wish you all the best and look forward to further developments. And products.

Thanks. And Iā€™ll share with you what we learned from the eLyric experience. Never make a product (software or otherwise) that relies upon a another companyā€™s computer. To do this right we have to control the hardware and thatā€™s the key lesson.

If we control the hardware then we can use third party products like web browsers, iPad and Android tablets without risking our server becoming an obsolete brick when Microsoft or Apple change OS.

Even depending on an iPad for interface is risky, but easier to manage than the brave souls that make software programs to run on commercial computers.

With our own hardware running the show we control speed, security, ease of use and when and where updates take place. In other words, it is we that can take all the blame or kudos for performance.

1 Like

I just said to my wife this morning that as of right now there is simply no commercial product in this category that I would spring for to use with my DS DAC and was planning to build my own high-end box again next year to replace what I am running, probably with Windows/Audiophile Optimizer/JRiverā€¦ havenā€™t yet gone over all the previous posts here but I am VERY interested and will most certainly wait for this one!

EDIT: I do have one request Iā€™d like to submit early on: that you should have a version of the control point app that will run on an iPhone, even if itā€™s more basic than the iPad version.

And likely, Bob, that youā€™ll be on the list of beta testers to help us make sure this is bulletproof.

Paul,

Believe me, I was about to chain myself to your leg for the opportunity. :slight_smile:

Please include me in the beta, Paul! Otherwise you just might have both Bob and I chained to your legs. Wouldnā€™t be a pretty sight! 114_gif

Done! Just remind me of this rash promise.

You shall not regret it. :slight_smile:

Actually, Iā€™m more concerned about the used protocol/standards, than the GUI. Because if the protocols are well-known and widely used, virtually any GUI can be built on top of them or there might already be applications that use this standard (and you do not have to create a new app from scratch).

For example, UPnP and MPD. None of them is perfect, yet most likely they will survive and live longer than any new proprietary solution. (Yes, as you might have noticed I prefer OpenSource.) For both protocols you can find quite a few apps for various operating systems and environments. Otherwise you will be bound to one or two companies that write apps for one or two systems, and any can disappear or abandon the project.

2 Likes