PS Audio Music Server In The Pipeline?

Strangely, I found that in Roon if you create a playlist, it loads all the tracks on all disks, but the disks do not necessarily have them all in the right order, so the playlist needs a bit of sorting.

This is when the CD diehards come out of the closet!

1 Like

Yup. Years ago I gave up on ā€˜albumsā€™ and ā€˜box setsā€™ for classical music when I ripped them to NAS: a total pain. In addition I find it very annoying to have each track title including text for work type, opus no., track no. and the unique track details; in many cases the composer name was included as well! I guess this is done as a belt-and-braces measure to ensure essential meta data is displayed, because there is no universal standard.
My solution (apologies as Iā€™ve stated it many times before in this forum) is to use album as ā€˜workā€™ (i.e. album = composer + work type + opus/no.) with ā€˜trackā€™ then only containing the movement/aria description.

I went through the process with box sets a long time ago. One thingā€™s for sure, Beethoven never had a server and nobody told Mahler to write what he likes as long as it fits on one side of a CD.

1 Like

Does anyone know the Rockna Wavedream NET?Looks very solid.
http://www.rockna-audio.com/products/wavedream-net

1 Like

Seems like it may be in a similar class as the Pink Faun 2.16.

I own it, feeding my DS DAC via I2s.

1 Like

@Frode - website made reference to playing dsf files; however, did not get the sense you can play SACD?

You cannot play SACD discs because the drive is BluRay.
However you can play DSD files from ripped (transcoded) material burnt on a disc media or from the internal SSD.

@Frode - OK, thanksā€¦ I have an OPPO 103; rips SACD (networked to Laptop), convert ISO to dsf, then load on Nucleus+ SSD for playing.

1 Like

The Pink Faun 2.16 weighs 38kg, nearly 4x the Rockna. The 2.16 is essentially 3 massive linear power supplies, oh with a computer and very low phase noise clocks, and your output(s) of choice.

I have no affiliation, just a very happy customer. Iā€™ve owned the 2.16 since July, 2018.

1 Like

@JeffofArabica - OK, guess you now understand the class Brett is talking aboutā€¦ weight classā€¦ 4X

Yep, that is a beast for sure! I definitely have my sights on this device.

Ditto - that is if you can help me lift it on my rackā€¦ :slight_smile: You wonder why I went for the 0.40in thick glass shelves at 220lbs weight specā€¦ that was a really good review tooā€¦

5ā€™ lift of close to 100lbs and man it better holdā€¦ :frowning:

4 Likes

I didnā€™t mean to slam the Rockna. I donā€™t know much about it but it appears to not have nearly the same focus on power supplies that the 2.16 does.

Re: 2.16 review, I was somewhat surprised he chose to not use it with HQPe and he really seemed to like their uber-expensive power cord. I happen to prefer HQPe (by far over Roon alone) and a far more modest power cord - from a P10, of course.

1 Like

Hi Frode, and whatā€™s your experience?

Gesendet mit BlueMail

I donā€™t know the Pink Faun server, however at first glance it doesnā€™t seem to be the same type of device when it doesnā€™t contain a disc drive?

The Rockna works well and it is nice to have everything onboard one unit.
The upcoming Rockna devices will not contain a disc drive.

Sound wise it betters my Lumin, Aries and Microrendu. I bought it because of itā€™s PS compatible I2s output and Roon capability. The web interface is also nice.

Is there something particular you want to know?

Thanks Frode
This device seams not so common. I am the owner of a Rockna Wavedream Signaturen DAC, so I know the outstanding quality of Rockna. But this Server is also expensive, and the same price League as the upcomming Octave. With this background, - do you think its worth the money?
Do you know more about this new upcomming devices ? Sounds Good ā€¦
Thanks
Chris

Hello Paulā€¦Hate to jump in the middle of this thread, but I wanted to ask a question that I canā€™t find that anyone has askedā€¦

Will the Octave have any sort of DSP/Room Correction/Dare I sayā€¦EQ?

I think one just have to wait and see what Rockna has up their sleeves.
There might be a chance that you are in risk of buying an EOL type of gear.

Thereā€™s much in the way of debate about this in the halls at PS. It will certainly have the capability (processor wise) and thereā€™s talk of having it, yes. Weā€™ll see how it manifests itself. I have this killer idea for DSP/EQ that I am dying to implementā€¦ hush
hush for right now.

Octave will be launched in phases, the first will be what we call MVP (minimum viable product) and then features will slowly be added over time. Weā€™re working hard on perfecting the update process so itā€™s transparent to the users and easy.

3 Likes