pwd Balanced Design

Yes that’s pricey but also considering that the isolator will divide the DAC’s output signal into two, I guess I will have to listen at higher listening levels on DAC’s digital volume and this will also result in a higher dynamic range… Is this also true?

Ted Smith said

You won’t hurt anything to just try things. If you don’t hear any objectionable changes as you change the connections don’t worry about it…

Hmm, I wonder if this would be an easier way to test XLR and RCA ICs? I happen to be doing that now. I disconnect one and connect the other when I want to switch. I wonder if I left them both plugged into different inputs on my preamp if it was cause an alteration of the sound?

tony22 said
Ted Smith said

You won’t hurt anything to just try things. If you don’t hear any objectionable changes as you change the connections don’t worry about it…

Hmm, I wonder if this would be an easier way to test XLR and RCA ICs? I happen to be doing that now. I disconnect one and connect the other when I want to switch. I wonder if I left them both plugged into different inputs on my preamp if it was cause an alteration of the sound?

It’s quite system dependent, but it may be worth trying and you’ll probably be able to partially test cable differences this way.

alpyoruk said MSB has a sub isolator (http://www.msbtech.com/products/sub.php?Page=platinumHome) this product claims to isolate the sub amps feedbacks, noise etc... Do U think that using this with DS or PWD's balanced outputs to drive both the main amp and the active sub at the same time is logical? If I am thinking right, by this way next to isolating the sub (it claims that it has considerable effect even on the main amp) I will enjoy balanced connection advantages on both the main amp and the sub? By the way, does PWD's or DS's both outputs are completely isolated? (Actually I doubt that cause if I am right if that was the case then using both outputs at the same time wouldn't unbalance the balanced outputs...) (Sorry if I am completely wrong making such an assumption)
The outputs are not isolated or we wouldn't be having this conversation :) (FWIW Isolating them would just about double the analog card cost and size...)

Guessing how much of a difference they would make in a system is even harder than predicting whether you’ll have a problem in the first place. Also it’s not clear from their pictures if the connections are physically compatible (but I didn’t look closely). The extra connections will have their own (small) problems, so once again you’d have to try them to know if they might help your system.

Just as a general guide I’d recommend waiting till you have the DS in your system for a little while before trying to optimize it. Some have found that their priorities change once they have the DS (and for that matter potentially with any component change.)

As they say, “Trust your ears”