RCA vs XLR

Galen, I’m curious if a phono interconnect, i.e., from cartridge to phono preamp, is treated any different for this discussion. My understanding is the output of a cartridge is balanced, but almost all phono interconnects are via single ended RCA. Not sure if this is really any different From your discussion above but thought I should be certain before proceeding with a “project”.

Now for some (long winded) context; I have a VPI Aries turntable with JMW-12.5 arm. Upon reading (many years ago) that phono cartridges are inherently balanced I decided I needed a phono pre that could accommodate said balanced signal. The only one I could afford at the time was a used Audio Research PH-2 (both input and output were balanced only). The issue was making the balanced connection at the junction box, initially I used an RCA cable which I changed the preamp end to XLR. Thinking this was not the best, and not wanting to afford the XLR junction box (about $250 as I recall), I got lucky and found a modified junction box that was hard wired with DH Labs balanced cable direct from the junction box Lemo connector (by-passing the RCA connectors) and terminated with XLR connectors at the preamp end of the cable. (For those not familiar with VPI arms, the wiring inside the arm is terminated with a short pigtail with a miniature connector (Lemo) that connects to a corresponding Lemo connector on the junction box that converts the connections to RCA jacks). When I sold the PH-2 for the PS Audio NPC I could no longer use that junction box, so it got packed away. I have since upgraded to the Stellar phono and feel I can now hear more into the music and it has re-ignited my interest in vinyl. So now I am motivated to try some tweaks I have been procrastinating about. One is the interconnects. I’m currently using VPI interconnects, which I’ve read are Ok, but can be easily improved. Coincidentally, Harry Weisfeld (designer of my Aries), pronounced hard wiring of the phono leads as a great tweak. My first thought was the hard wired junction box I have. I could remove the XLR connectors and replace them with high quality RCA connectors. A quick and easy improvement! Well, maybe not since your statement above says otherwise.

First question, is it a good or bad idea to modify the cable I have? Second question, assuming it’s a bad (or just not very good) idea, what are your thoughts on phono leads? Stiffness can be a liability in my set up so keep that in mind. In the event this has already been answered let me know where. Thanks in advance!