Remove Bridge from Senior - Better Sound?

I do not believe the Matrix has an internal PS. Rather, if you do not use an external PSU with the Matrix, I believe the Matrix simply draws power from the attached USB source (in my case, a Melco). By adding an external PSU to the Matrix, the Matrix no longer draws power via USB, which in my system resulted in an even quieter background and a more relaxed/less strident presentation. The improvement from adding an external PSU (in my case, an admittedly cheap/entry level one) was more subtle than the sonic benefit of going from USB to I2S, but it was certainly well worth the $50.

thx for info Iā€™ll give I a try. Did you consider any of the external Chinese PSUā€™s that seem to be everywhere - or any other linear PSUā€™s for that matter?

Hi, not at the time, as I already had the iFi in my possession (I simply diverted it to the Matrix). I sometimes think about trying a higher-end PSU, but there are so many brands/models out there, and I do not have the time currently to research them adequately, so I will stick with the excellent-sounding Matrix-iFi combo for the time being. If you learn of a particular PSU or PSUā€™s that are reported to work well with the Matrix, I would be grateful if you could let me know. Thanks.

USB is a notoriously bad interface for audio in general - that said perhaps PS Audio is the exception - most people avoid USB with their DACs. Why not use optical input if you canā€™t get the bridge to work - that would be my second choice.

Furthermore, if you have a preamp and are therefore able to keep the volume of the DS Sr always at 100 then noise from the Bridge card will not be a problem. Only folks running the DS Sr at significantly lower than rated output of 100 will suffer from transformer and other electronic noise starting to interfere with low level musical detail.

I also had a 9v iFi power supply lying around and thought it made a small improvement over USB power from my Mac Mini. I thought the HDMI cable you recommended was at least as good, if not slightly better, than my old PSA HDMI cable.

And I also thank you for the tips boot!

1 Like

ok Iā€™ll let you know. Matrix recommends 6-9v for ext PS - any idea what voltage would be best?

1 Like

Not sure, and I believe my iFi is only 5V, so I am probably not getting the maximum effect.

I used the 9V iFi. Donā€™t know which is better. They specify 6-9V but then USB voltage is 5V, I believe. They warn not to go over 9V.

1 Like

I used the 9V iFi with the Matrix, I didnā€™t have my system to a level where I could hear the difference between it and USB +5V.

OK, I took matters into my own handsā€¦ took it out, laid a few pieces of black electricianā€™s tape (black is better for resonance control). Took a whole 5mnts.

Soā€¦ firstā€¦ wait for itā€¦ I hate tweaksā€¦ sometimes I hear differences but rarely can I say ā€œbetterā€. So what am I experiencing using USB without the bridge card? Umā€¦ Definitely better. Yep, I am kinda surprised because my bias is usually negative and skeptical. It just sounds more detailed top to bottomā€¦ the classic veil being liftedā€¦ not there was much veiling to begin with.

Soā€¦ if you are using the USB port, and have a bridge ethernet card in thereā€¦ take the whole 5 mnts and pull it out. Unplug the unit of course. Give it a tryā€¦ you can easily put it back.

Post here your experience.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

2 Likes

Iā€™m waiting for more opinions on this. In my case, I stream Tidal and Hirez files via microrendu and Uptone LPS-1 power supply to USB. I just donā€™t want to give up the ability to stream Tidal MQA thru the Bridge. Some here donā€™t like MQA, but I really think thereā€™s something special to MQA. In my system there is more stage depth, more palpability to images, and a more organic sound overall with MQA. Switching back and fourth from Bridge II to USB using Roon just isnā€™t much trouble to me. So, this really depends on how much of an improvement in SQ comes about from removing the bridge. Iā€™ve been a tweaker from way back, but this one just seems too far out.
Sorry for my skepticism.

1 Like

Why? Ted has talked about the noise the Bridge II card puts out even when not in use. It makes sense that sound quality would improve with that noise removed. This is one of few tweaks thatā€™s actually makes technical sense.

Then Bridge II was not ready for prime time. Correct?

Since removing the Bridge II in your system would negatively affect your playback options (i.e. no Tidal MQA), your interest in the impact of removing the Bridge II card should not be limited only to whether or not it makes a difference. If I were you, I would be as concerned about how much of a difference as I am about if it makes a difference. Even if someone, or many, state it does improve SQ to remove the Bridge, that difference in sound quality may not be noticeable in your system. Or it may be so slight that it does not offset the consequence of losing Tidal MQA playback.

So, the most prudent approach is to select your reference tracks, play them as many times over with the Bridge II in place (streaming via USB) to become acclimated, then remove it and follow the same steps. Then you can decide whether or not its mere presence (even when not in use) in your DSD DAC has any perceivable affects on your system. For you, there is value in having the Bridge II in place so you really need to determine its impact on SQ through your own ears before yanking it and losing a feature you consider valuable - Tidal MQA.

-Good logic.
Thanks

I donā€™t use MQA/Tidal or really any streaming services. I may dick with the bridge card in the future, and when and if I do, I will just pop it back in. Foobar, my player, has tons of plugin options so I am fairly sure I can stream or access most anythingā€¦ but I choose not to. So, getting the max quality from my USB connection is important to me.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

If not done so already - you should try Roon and Tidal. It changed my listening habits, increased my exposure to different music and fivefold the amount of listening I do.

The Roon interface is excellent.

1 Like

Iā€™d agree if MQA is important to you youā€™d lose the last unfold without the Bridge.

In my experience DSD from a DAP via Unmodified USB sounds better than MQA via Bridge II, but is is the DSD or the USB?

T

Iā€™d vote for the MQA futzing up the sound. I find most MQA material unconvincing.