Room Treatments

This one from michael-denmark’s massive post is so sad. Looks like an 80’s conference room turned into a less than comfortable listening area. The ceiling is missing the mark with the florescent lighting. I bet they buzz like flies, too.

5 Likes

They probably turn off the light when they listen to music … :wink:

Show me your listening room

2 Likes

It’s pictured in this very thread, my friend…and not the squiggly lines, but they are also in the thread.

I’m gonna perform the role of “backseat acoustician” for this pic. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Clearly a bunch of money has been spent but the room treatment strategy seen in this pic misses the mark in major ways.

The big 1D QRD diffusers along the sidewalls are much too close to the loudspeaker sound sources to work properly. Entirely the wrong treatment for that location. Provided that there was at least 5-6’ of space between the MLP and rear wall, those sidewall diffusers could be relocated to the rear walls and rear sidewalls.

There are some ASC Tube Traps already employed. They are amazing tools but the wrong sizes are used in the wrong places in this pic. In my experience their should be 16" (or even larger diameter) floor-to-ceiling stacks in the four cornershose sidewall QRDs ought to be replaced with 6’ stacks of 13" TubeTraps immediately flanking the loudspeakers at the side walls and possibly directly behind the loudspeakers along the front wall. Employing Tube Traps in this fashion addresses mid and upper bass misbehavior due to room modes and SBIR.

That “acoustic waffle foam” always works poorly as it only absorbs high frequencies. It belongs in a garbage bin!

I like 5-6" thick broadband absorption treatments (made from 3lbs/cu. ft. fiberglass, mineral wool, or other fibrous acoustically absorptive equivalent) at the primary sidewall reflection points for rooms proportioned and sized like this one.

On the ceiling I’d replace the acoustic ceiling tiles at the primary reflection points with 5-6" thick broadband absorbers too. And then replace at least half of those ceiling tiles with an acoustically reflective replacement tile to reduce the amount of band limited high frequency absorption going on with that drop ceiling. I assume the ceiling cavity above the drop ceiling is lightly filled with bats of fluffy fiberglass? If not, it should be.

Well that’s my advice. Now where is my consulting fee? :grin: :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

IMG_7883

5 Likes

My first thought (or at least very similar) as well…

Looks like it is overdone and probably counter-productive.

I also think the toe-in of the speakers is likely not for the best, in terms of sound stage and center image, given the effects fo the side wall room treatment.

All this is just conjecture since I have not sat in that middle chair, though.

Cheers.

1 Like

These are nice boys … Since we do not have any measurements in this room before / after, you just guess … Measurements are the way forward. :wink: :kissing_heart:

No offense intended @michael-denmark, but there is absolutely no way the arrangement of acoustic treatment seen in that pic was arranged in that fashion based upon measurements. There is also no way the treatment strategy seen in that pic was laid out based upon the advice of an acoustician or other small room acoustics-savvy professional. Finally there is no chance that the treatments seen in the pics were applied iteratively based upon informed critical listening.

1 Like

Again … we do not know the dimensions of the room … There are many strangers here. I think the room has problems with the door and the room behind the door. Therefore, I think that has been measured. I’ve seen these solutions before.

PS , I do not get offended that you analyze … it is always good with more opinions and perceptions. My English is unfortunately not good enough for me to throw myself into discussions about akustik

2 Likes

Have you all noticed that none of the electronics are located in the listen field, especially between the speakers.
And not a grain of salt between the listeners and the pair of loud speakers, which are quite a distance from the behind wall.
You all should consider this before passing judgment,

Which checks several boxes for typical good speaker placement rules of thumb…but is unrelated (speaking for myself) to the perceived shortcomings of the room set up - just judging from the photograph. As I noted (caveated) when I offered my particular concerns (summarizing): “But I have not sat in that room and listened to the system.”

Cheers.

3 Likes

In our offices, they’ve replaced florescent tubes with LED tubes that fit in the same fixtures!

2 Likes

I guess the most generous way I could view that picture from an acoustic treatment concept POV is that some people like what headphones do, and that setup might come closer to that sort of sound.

What immediately came to mind for me was the first home studio I was ever in, and the first “acoustical treatment” I ever saw. This was when I was maybe 12 years old, in the basement of a friend of my 6 years older brother’s. He covered every surface but the floor in egg crates. Floor was likely shag carpet. I thought that was pretty cool at the time.

I second Scotte’s caveat, however.

3 Likes

“Beef”: I feel like we are old friends now. Feel free to call me Scott.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Atmosphere - Synergistic Research
Synergistic Research Atmosphere/UEF/HFT Room Treatment System - The Absolute Sound
:thinking:
Edit: Though voodoo-like, this seems to give more definite results than some traditional room treatments!

3 Likes

I have no doubts that the sun plays a role in generating disturbances we can hear. I found that out at the last harvest moon and the power distortion coming into my regenerator went 2 to 3 times higher. I was perplexed on why the sound was awful until investigating that during such moon cycles the solar and lunar positioningaeffects RF disturbance. Making a counter system seems like it should be active and measure the fields that vary then if emitting RF, only do what is needed. That gets expensive. It seems if it was designed worse case it could do more hindering than helping. I use to be skeptical of Synergistic Research until hearing the Purple fuse and it’s beneficial filtering then experimenting with RF and EMI absorber on pS audio equipment. It seems hocus pocus but filters or shielding has benefits finding and implementing becomes a challenge unless you know the emitter and the frequencies and your equipment and or ears is sensitive to affects.

2 Likes

I bought these off of Etsy. They ship from the Ukraine but I had them in a week. They are comparable in quality to Vicoustic, which I also own. The good news is that they are reasonable I paid about $90 Canadian for 4 of these. Hanging was breeze with “Monkey Hooks” pictures below. They are smaller squares than Vicoustic so measure and adjust, if you go for these.

3 Likes

They look very nice. Shipping included for the 4 panels or was it an additional charge.

I think it was additional but it was reasonable. It comes in more colours than the rainbow and reviews praise the fast delivery. I was shocked at the speed.

1 Like

Very nice indeed.