Sneak Peek: FR-30, now FR-80

:rofl: I can’t believe people got so bent out of shape that the CEO of the company got his hands slapped. I find this silly/ridiculous/funny. Keep doing your thing Paul…but minus the stands :wink:

3 Likes

Seeing them in the context of a room with MCM furniture with similar wood as the stands (flat walnut, not the gloss that the supplier provided) made more sense. I’d still want matching stands or perhaps brushed brass outriggers. Frankly like them with the grille cloths on. From what I gather those will be available in different colors. But I’m not saying that because I think they will be ugly without them.

I have the grille cloths on my current speakers, and don’t think about it. I could see where you might want none based on the prior iterations, but those are no more.

They would fit into a lot of rooms, and they look substantial and classy. The brushed brass rings on the mids and woofs are nice against the black. And the graphite appears black in a typical lighting situation, as opposed to the very bright, probably overall fluorescent lighting of the picture of the top module in the shop. I thought it was piano black in person in moderate lighting.

2 Likes

I am one of the people that thinks the rounded edges and black gloss finish look fantastic (and that was just from that one photo). I do look forward to seeing and HEARING them in person, whether it is at Axpona (hopefully will carry on as planned) or whether I make a trip out to PS Audio (I have friends I want to visit out there and also want to see/hear the IRS V, in addition to the FR-30). I completely understand where you’re coming from. Some negativity is good for balance. Mean negativity is, well, just mean. For me, it has truly been fun following the developments of your speaker, and has resulted in me purchasing other PS Audio products, like a P12, BHK Pre & M700 monoblocks, all of which let me forget about the components and focus on the music (except my jaw keeps dropping with how good they sound together).

For what it’s worth (I am not playing in the 20k league) they look good to me, I like their design including the stands.

Thanks Rudolph. I appreciate the kind words. As I said, it’s different. It was designed specifically not to look like a speaker. I think it looks cool and would love a pair in my home.

So far, it’s looking more like we can keep it at $15K, rather than $20K but time will tell.

5 Likes

The FR30’s are not IKEA style, IKEA tries to copy their style from top notch furniture designers working for the exclusive and my favourite furniture manufacturer:
Harvink
Once you lifted ad touched that furniture, it’s all about quality.

If you see a resemblance, you know why I also really like the FR30’s.

I like speakers that sound good- whatever they look like- make em sing- they will sell

2 Likes

Me too, but I have no man cave except my home office in a corner in the attic, where big speakers really don’t fit.

In case the CFO at home doesn’t like the looks, I have to agree with her, they won’t make it into the living room where we already spent a fortune on furniture to our taste.

So they have to look and sound really good. I have found that subwoofers have to be active if you want to enjoy low frequencies and avoid boomy resonances and sound.

We have small real estate as most in The Netherlands. I guess the same applies to most in Japan and South Korea too, so there is no space to play a lot with speaker positions, Active close cabinet subwoofers like the FR30 offers are just perfect for such situations.

Unfortunately this concept in full rang floor standing speakers does not come cheap, especially if they need to look good too, so I get the price for the FR30’s.

Video of Paul . FR30s seen

4 Likes

Thanks for the video!
The FR-30 looks fantastic!

1 Like

@Paul
Guilty as charged. I was one of the people disliking the design of the FR-30. One suggestion: Why don’t you create a poll with Survey Monkey or a similar tool to find out more what people think? Then you can base your decisions on hard numbers and analytics. In the end these speakers need to be bought by customers.

I think they are locked into the design now and any survey results wouldn’t result in any changes at this late stage.

3 Likes

People will vote with wallets.

They look good and go so deep without claiming a humongous amount of our pressures real estate.

Curious how they perform close to the wall, again due to lack of real estate but desire to be able to hear a bass fundament or the largest organ pipes.

The video helped as it put the size of the speakers into perspective. Will we get a chance to see the designer Chris Brunshaver also some day, perhaps explaining the technology behind the coax ribbon mid and tweeter technology, which seems to have been developed under his influence.

Don’t they look at least a little bit like box speaker?

Oh man, I’m still not feeling this design. I voted with my wallet, got me a pair of cube nenuphar. Looking forward to listening to it though, I’m sure it sounds great

Seeing the speaker in the video warms me a little more towards the design and size. I still hate the feet. I’d like an outrigger option. If not I’d commission one to mount some Isoacoutics Gaia’s.

At one time the cabinet was going to have threaded inserts for gaia studs. Grandma’s furniture legs speaker feet could be stored waiting for a future furniture renaissance

1 Like

I need some assistance. What goes with Bill Maher, Scotch or Bourbon?

1 Like

Scotch…

1 Like