Sound Quality: USB vs Bridge

Good, I did not read all the details in the article but it’s my understanding with this method you use iTunes on your computer but store your library on a NAS, if that’s what you want to do ok but I assume in this case ITunes is your server, and you would not then use minimserver. If I’m wrong about this someone please say so.

I prefer using the server (minimserver or audio Stn) on the Synology and control with mconnect app on my iPad, no computer involved, this is the simplest for me. If I use a computer it’s Roon/USB/DS with minimserver/AS on the Synology because I like Roon’s library management although the sq is not quite as good.

Well, today I made real progress.

I successfully moved my iTunes Media folder from my MacBook Pro to my NAS (as instructed in the article rogerdn referred me to) – admittedly, I only had one CD stored in the folder, but it worked.

Then, when I ripped another CD to iTunes, it stored it in the folder on the NAS.

Strangely, the CD that was in the iTunes Media folder when I “relocated” this folder to the NAS was only visible and playable by means of File Station, not Audio Station. However, the CD that I ripped to the iTunes Media folder after the folder was moved to the NAS is visible and playable with Audio Station. It was also properly stored in the file “Compilations” in Audio Station when the music was viewed “By Folder.”

I also figured out a way to eliminate some of the “double” files – although I still have some work to do to make this “conscious competence,” rather than just “kluging” it file by file. A job for tomorrow!

With that said, the album art files show up in the individual album files in File Station, but they are not displayed in Audio Station.

Can’t help with your Audio Stn problems, I only use Minimserver or their Media Server. But I see they have an iTunes app, have you looked at it ?

Ben

I changed my interface when I got my DirectStream, I always used the bridge "one the early user and rode the journey up to getting the DS. I found the use of the USB better sounding in the DS in combination with JPLAY. JPLAY 6.2 is awesome by the way.

There needs to be some consideration in the USB implementation and should be thought out well ahead before choosing all the bits to make really good USB sound.

As an example my USB implementation: and mine is not perfect because I did not fully realise the things I now, I chose the wrong Mother board.

My USB setup:

1. an Intel NUC i7 8 gigs ram located into a Solid aluminium case making this PC fanless with SSD drive for Windows server with AudioOptimiser installed and JPLAY 6.2 this is the Audio PC.

2. in the half height PCIE slot I have installed an expansion board which is 10cm long cable out to another small box which sits atop the NUC inside this small box is the PPA version 4 USB card and the SSD drive of the NUC. this allows me to power the PPA version 4 USB card and the SSD drive also the PCIE slot 3.3 volt from an HDPLEX linear PSU.

3. the Audio PC is interconnected via dedicated Ethernet own subnet’ to a shared powerful work station I run process lasso on this machine and dedicate CPU and other parameters to JPLAY is like having its own control PC. this PC can perform other task for general home and it sits on another network to see the internet.

Interesting: each time I removed power from the NUC and feed it direct from the Linear HDPLEX psu the sound opened up more was heard same as the changes in firmware of the Direct stream and JPLAY software upgrades.

Note and to answer Ben’s question in my opinion: by comparison bridge 1 is way behind in SQ compared to the USB setup built and configured in my system, Bridge two would need to be significantly better than Bridge one to compare or be better than my current USB setup.

Additional note: the bridge setup is way more easy to implement than an optimised USB setup and more cost effective as a solution but without comparing to Bridge 11 in my setup I don’t know if Bridge 11 will deliver better SQ great sounding music.

Closing comment: I hope to try the Bridge 11 some day to know is Bridge 11 better sounding than an optimised USB implementation.

The bride would benefit from some of these tweak but cant implement all are not compatible I wish JPLAY was - Hmm I wonder of there were any similarities in PS Audio wave stream to JPLAY!

What I learnt

Quality design for Audio Linear PSU: helps reduce induced noise in to the music chain components.

Audio Optimiser: reduces work load of a windows computer benefits timing and reduces EMF/RF noise through less electrical component strain.

JPLAY6.2 improves the Audio output through managing the transport of the Audio Data stream in and from the windows computer.

USB sound card reduces electrical noise which could be induced into music chain components.

Cheers

Johno

Johno, Thanks! That was very informative. I’ve read many good things about optimized USB implementation in audio. It’s tempting to try it out, but for me that will entail relocating computer/network components, and wiring. I’m definitely going to get a Bridge 2, but I might also try USB…Interesting!!

On my servers it’s very close and great either way. The real test would be from a nas and Ipad directly over a network and thus I have not tried

al

Al…I think you made a comment a while back about the Bridge 2 have equivalent Sound Quality to your $6K server. What were you using to serve the Bridge 2? Anything special about the computer that was serving the Bridge?

Ok Al, so I think I read your response in the Yale thread. So instead of using the USB output on your $6K server, you served the music to the Bridge with your $6K server. And your next experiment is the serve the Bridge directly from your NAS to compare vs. the music server. I think that’s how I understand it. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

Yes that us what I mean

Al, Dave2010, and Team

This is where I am also I’m very interested to know what sounds the best or the same, refer to an optimised USB or the Bridge 11 setup. Also If the streaming PC to the Bridge 11 was with your optimised PC.

I’m keen to hear from anyone operating both solutions, optimised USB setup and Bridge 11

Is Bridge 11 the next step in SQ for me105_gif