Stellar M700 Burn in

The biggest improvements are in sound stage and imaging. The stellar preamp and M700 amps really out shine my CJ stuff. The CJ amp And preamp are a little on the warmer side, after going back and forth listening to both, I preferred the the stellar equipment , I can hear harmony vocals much clearer than my CJ amp.thanks

1 Like

I don’t want to hijack this thread, but am curious from the powers that be at PS Audio and others. Whats your take on connecting an 8 ohm resistor or even a 4 ohm resistor across the speaker cable binging post to break in a pair of amps like this. Actually considering taking PSA up on their awesome Black Friday offers. This can be done while sending a controlled volume signal to the amps of course and eliminate the speakers from the equation.

Thanks

I’ve used this in the past to give amps a load. They get hot so plan on a small fan to move some air across them and/or attach to a heatsink.

Interesting while I’ve never tried this, I wouldn’t have guessed a simple resistor load would get so hot. I suppose one could screw them onto a metal plate for even better heat dissipation too. At a modest volume you wouldn’t think them to get hot.

I’ve used them to run in speaker cables…they are fairly small and not able to shed the heat all that well on their own. The vast majority/all of the energy resisted by a resistor is converted to heat. A couple of watts for hours and no air flow…it warms pretty hot.

Think about a typical 15W soldering iron. They get damn hot.

1 Like

They are most likely only rated at 100 watts when mounted on a suitable heatsink…

1 Like

Home built 100W, 8 ohm loads that I used to burn in my M700s. Didn’t get too hot and worked fine. Darren Meyers approved.
Craig…

3 Likes

Wow. Impressive handiwork!