Steller Phono at home trial or not?

I think there are phonostages with better bass definition, transient response, detail, noise level and treble extension even at the 834P‘s price, but it definitely does the rest quite well. It has to fit, then it’s a winner in its class imo.

I’ve only had two turntables, the current one for 7 years. I did change one of the arms, from a Jelco 750 to the 850, which is a lot better. Sad they closed down.

I started with a relatively cheap solid state phono, then a bespoke valve unit, then Devialet internal phono for MM and MC and now Devialet for MM and a Vertere solid state for MC. I’ve got a list of phono’s I’d like to try, including a new Origin Live unit, the Trilogy 907 (both two boxes and solid state) and after all these years there is a replacement for the 834p called the Phonobox, which is apparently a whole lot better and about the same price (which in the UK is half the price off the Stellar phono).

Cartridges don’t change much, I’ve got a DV XX2Mk2 that I’ve had years and was recently retipped and is like new again, a Koetsu Urushi that I use half the time and a SoundSmith Zephyr Mk3 for jazz and older stuff. I have a 2M Mono that gets little use now.

The phono side of things is very subjective and fun. The rest of the system has been almost unchanged for 5 years, save a new server.

EAR are still listing the 834p, but I only found out about the Phonobox today and it’s apparently much better all round.

I’m going to have to make enquiries.

Well, I made enquiries and ordered a Phonobox. My dealer just called EAR, they have been on full lockdown, but are going back to full production next week. He’s had several on order since February. Probably chalk and cheese from the Strata, and in the UK the Strata is £2,500 and the Phonobox £1,200 (black, mm/mc, no volume control).