Supporting Roon by PS Audio (was Merging's OEM ZMan board)

Having used uPNP, HQP, Daphile, Audiolinux, Roon, I have some experience…

I started using HQP in windows setup before moving to a full Linux system where I used Daphile for a while and up until Roon’s latest 1.3 up-sampling fixes came out (Roon’s first version of up-sampling sucked). Daphile was far easier to use and sounded way better than HQP - though its UI is not were Roon is but with iPeng app, its was a no brainier. Kimo (Daphile developer) has made further improvements/modifications to Squeezelite, added DSD up-sampling feature on our request and is possibly the only Squeezelite based application to do it. I don’t disagree there are developments going on the Squeezelite side of things but its hard to catch up with Roon when there is money involved along the process. Squeezelite/Daphile and similar other free s/w like minimserver are developed/maintained out of passion (and I am very thankful to this community) whereas Roon is developed both out of passion and financial interest.

Holzohr said Sorry to MI2016 for kidnapping his thread!
You didn't!

I changed the name of the thread. It was primarily about enabling Roon on PS Audio products from the start. I think the new title reflects the discussion and should help subsequent forum surfers.

Your input and Dev’s have been great additions.

Holzohr said Btw, a nice feature is that you can use Squeezeboxes as Roon endpoints. Sorry to MI2016 for kidnapping his thread!
Hehe not a problem at all Holzohr! As a long time and still present Squeezebox user this has all been on topic for me, I love all discussions related to networked audio.

This discussion started because I was worried Roon support would end for current (and future) DS Snr + Bridge 2 and DS Jnr owners, with the Bridge III release next year. So I started with asking Paul if the upcoming ZMan board had been considered at any point as an option (not actually suggesting they use it) as it would mean continued Roon support (as well as supporting all PC/Mac/Linux audio btw, not only Roon).

Those concerns of mine (and a couple others here) were destroyed by Paul’s kind support - that Bridge II support will continue, not only for Roon users.

As I mentioned earlier in the discussion, there are many DS Snr + Bridge II and DS Jnr owners that are very very happy with using their favourite UPnP player and the mConnect app with Tidal, so support for those DS owners will continue too, which is fantastic .

Great discussion gents.