THD IN 8.5%

Got my new P3 yesterday, was surprised to see the never changing 8.5% THD IN number, does this mean I got really bad quality power at home?

Welcome!

That’s on the high side in my experience, but not unreasonable. Sobering, is it not?

More importantly, what are you getting as an output and does your system sound better?

Elk said Welcome!

That’s on the high side in my experience, but not unreasonable. Sobering, is it not?

More importantly, what are you getting as an output and does your system sound better?

Thanks for replying Elk, now I consistently got around 0.5% THD out which is night and day compare to what from the wall outlet. A lot of people have said this, I will say this again, after listening to it for the last two days, I’m a bit regret that I really should have made this purchase before buying all other equipment and by far it has made the biggest sound quality improvement among all my gears.

Two questions, first, does P3 require long break in? because I have feeling that sound is better today than yesterday. Second, I noticed a small hum after plugging in my laptop, is there a way to get rid of it?

It does take a few days, sometimes weeks to get the best performance out of it.

Where is the hum coming from?

Paul McGowan said It does take a few days, sometimes weeks to get the best performance out of it.

Where is the hum coming from?

Hi Paul,

The hum is coming from where some of the boards are at right above the transformer. And if I unplug the laptop, the hum goes away.

That’s because the laptop has large capacitors across its input - it’s a switch mode power supply - and this makes the Power Plant work harder, and you get some hum when it does. Totally natural.

Paul McGowan said That's because the laptop has large capacitors across its input - it's a switch mode power supply - and this makes the Power Plant work harder, and you get some hum when it does. Totally natural.
Thanks Paul, my new laptop will arrive today, let see if it make any difference.