The science of cable elevators?

Yes; and no need to change . . . . . A sound approach!!

1 Like

This article is more than 15 years old. There are other interesting views from him, as I could see he was a big fan of “resonance control”. For me, many ideas what he wrote on paper explains why do we have different experience with same tweaks/products/etc. I do not think that he has right with each end every statements, but the more we read, the more we try will result more experience and knowledge. Here is the summary page of his views:

2 Likes
5 Likes

Adding this here as it’s related… And perhaps useful to a new generation of audio equipment looking to eliminate EM induced noise.

Phys.org: Physicists circumvent centuries-old theory to cancel magnetic fields.

2 Likes

Glass bricks, as used in glass-brick windows, make inexpensive high-dielectric cable supports, and don’t concentrate the contact with the wire on a small area.

2 Likes

The look nice, too.

Yes, and come in 5" and 3" sizes.

Where do you find those? A quick search only showed 6"+ sizes.

Hmmmm

My DIY supports made of wood. The cable will be held in place by a rubber band from the dowels. To finish, I have to fine tune the heights and paint. I find the elevated cable easy to clean under. Of course, I like the look.

9 Likes

Chas, what are those two speakers off in the distance in this picture?

Those are my first high end stereo speakers, Klipsch Fortes. I bought them nearly 40 years ago.

5 Likes

I’m adding this here, as it’s something I’ve done as a result of the reading I’ve done on EM fields and shared in this thread.

I place large steel cylindrical door stoppers on my equipment. Before, I used to put it smack in the center, but now I place them directly above the power transformer.

This video shows what happens to a free flowing magnetic field when a metallic object is placed in it. The transformer on the BHK Pre is right of center and I’m placing the cylinder directly above it.

I have a cheap magnetic field detector sitting with it’s sensor pointed towards the former. The cylinder, afaik, is not magnetized–screws don’t stick.

Theory says that magnetic field lines will look for the least path of reluctance (similar in theory to resistance for electric fields), usually in metallic objects.

You’ll see that the field strength to the meter goes down when I place the cylinder over the former. The theory says that the magnetic field lines are now flowing into the cylinder – and likely turning into heat.

What does this mean? I take it to mean less magnetic energy is interfering with other equipment because it’s being drawn and possibly dissipated by the cylinder. It would be nice to be able to see the field lines to know exactly how the new shape looks, but you can see adjacent field energy goes down with the cylinder in place.

2 Likes

Any recommendations on where to purchase these “high-tech” door stoppers. I have seen them in pictures of other ‘philes’ systems.

TIA.

These are stainless steel, non-magnetic:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cylindrical+door+stoppers&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Thanks…wondering which size and weight would be “best” for placing on top of my PSA memory player and maybe the DS Sr. some day…

Have you or @vee figured out any “optimal” designs/sizes/weights?

Regards.

I use these for my M700’s and SACD drive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFEC211/ref=syn_sd_onsite_desktop_195?psc=1&uh_it=59a7511d74788cdf2d3d738dac1ae270_CT&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExN05PVE9ZSkoxNEJHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjc0NDA3UUhNNlJYQ09CVzFTJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0MjkxNDUxWkZWVjFDSEFQRUZBJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c2Rfb25zaXRlX2Rlc2t0b3AmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I haven’t done heavy experimentation with weights, only to say more metal is likely better until it’s so heavy your equipment starts to bow.

The other important note is this is changing the shape of the field lines coming from the power former, so directly on top may not be the best spot. You might want to “pull” fields away from specific areas.

It’s also helpful to place on other devices where you don’t want fields to go through the device. The metal can serve as a kind of magnetic-“sink” to attract the field lines. I wonder if that’s how those SR ECT devices work… By attracting field lines away from the ICs.

The reason I put it directly above the former is, in my mind, the field lines are running far and wide 360, so I wanted something to pull them closer/narrower, kind of like pulling long hair up in a bun.

And does your system sound any different?

1 Like

10-4.

Thank you.