Upgrade from M1200 to BHK300?

Nice room. The other thing is if you get BHK 300’s you would have to get a bigger regenerator also.

M1200 is good bhk is far more better , I compare them back and forth for many times , bhk wins in every aspects , especially in vocals !

7 Likes

Looks like you were two steps ahead of my comments on getting treatments first. Your room looks great!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, and specially woman vocals playing a bit load is were I also find the M1200’s a bit more edgy. When I visited the local dealer this weekend mainly for listening to the new PS Audio FR30 I also listened to another setup with Aavik Acoustics and Børresen speakers. This is also class D amps and I could find the same here, specifically on vocal’s that sounded a bit edgy…
I suppose with Class D in combination with revealing speakers this is more noticeable.
What type of preamp and speakers did you do the comparison?

I prefer the 300s a decent amount over the 1200s. The linear output stage of the 300s has a sweetness that the 1200s are missing. The headroom in the 1200s is really great, but the edginess others have mentioned doesn’t exist at all in the 300s.

2 Likes

I’m using irs 3 the early model of irs v . preamp bhk

2 Likes

Have the M1200’s been used to power the FR-30?

Not that I’ve heard yet. I’ve only heard them powered by the BHK 300s, 600s, and briefly the Sprout100 for a fun little test. I wouldn’t be surprised if Darren has played around with the FR30s at his and driving them with some 1200s.

1 Like

My plan was to keep the M1200’s for a long time, and I tried hard to resist spending more money on hifi gear, but had to give up. In my obsession for better sound I ended up trading in my M1200’s together with my AudioValve preamp in exchange for BHK300’s and BHK preamp. The first two days I was not convinced but OMG after 3 days break in time, everything opened up and my Piega Coax speakers were shining like a never heard before :grinning: Vocals and instrument is more natural sounding and there are more layers into the music than I ever heard before with the M1200’s. The edge I sometimes felt with some tracks are now smoothed out and there are lots of sustain, headrom and details. Highly recommended upgrade if you have 10K more to spend on you system. I guess I have to stop visit this dealer for a while unless my bank account will continue to hurt :thinking:

4 Likes

Heck yeah, great to hear! Glad it wasn’t a minor improvement for you!

1 Like