USB cables that work, or don't, with DS

Ted Smith said That depends on many things, your USB hubs, other things plugged into the USB ports, your USB hardware in your computer, the OS you are running, etc. Violate the spec and you break assumptions that any part of the system might have made and the result can be very unpredictable.

Before Yale a fair number of people could us the DS without the VBUS line connected and some more could get their system running and then disconnect the VBUS.

To allow connecting in more systems we had to change Yale to declare that the DS doesn’t use power form the VBUS, ironically that ended up causing more people to need to keep VBUS connected to keep their USB connection, but it enabled people to use devices that couldn’t power the USB bus and made other connections much more reliable.

There are other compromises one could try besides disconnecting the VBUS:

A lot of people find that which USB connection they use on their computer makes a difference (if you’ve looked at how the wires for various connections are dressed inside a typical computer this isn’t very surprising.) And hence you might also find that on a given computer a USB 2.0 connection is better or worse than a USB 3.0 connection.

There are cables that use separate shielded connections for the data and for the VBUS (two separate cables from one connector.)

There are cables that use optical connections for the data (but most can’t use optical for the VBUS connection.) The Corning USB 3.Optical cables work for some, I’ve had good luck with it at times and at other times I end up pulling my hair out.

One could also use a USB hub just before the DS and provide great power to that hub, hoping to drop some of the noise on the floor. (I do this: well I use a wall wart plugged into a dedicated power line :slight_smile: )

Thanks Ted.

My setup consists of CAPs PC with Paul Pang v4 USB PCIe card (along with other PPA parts - mobo clock, RAM etc), running Windows Server 2012, AO/Jplay/Fidelizer. The usb card is USB 3.0 spec’ed and it connects to the Intona isolator, which connects then to W4S RUR (similar to Regen), that connects to DS. The RUR and USB Card is power by hdplex linear power supply and usb cables used are Curious cables which I think follows the USB specification. I was thinking if I could use this between the RUR and DS and then disconnect once the initial handshake is done.

http://www.elijahaudio.com/images/konvertible.jpg

You could try it, but in my experience with Yale it won’t work for most people. Remember the initial handshake isn’t all that the VBUS is used for - any time anything is plugged into or removed from the USB bus and/or any time the OS changes the power state of devices on the USB bus (e.g. when the OS goes into and out of different levels of sleep, etc.) the current draw on VBUS may matter. For example it’s how the OS can tell if a new device is a hub or not. Also USB on the Go, etc. use it as well and each release of the OS (and/or update from Microsoft, Apple, etc.) may be sensitive to it.

Ted,

Understood but assuming it works in my case, do you think logically one could gain SQ or would there be no difference at all weather the 5v is present or not during playback ?

With most systems the VBUS seems to act like an antenna not only bringing in noise induced by the USB data lines but also other crap from everywhere in your system. But you’ve probably addressed most of that already. I’m sure there would be at least a small change so I would try it, but make sure you can get your money back or sell it if it doesn’t work for you.

Ted Smith said With most systems the VBUS seems to act like an antenna not only bringing in noise induced by the USB data lines but also other crap from everywhere in your system. But you've probably addressed most of that already. I'm sure there would be at least a small change so I would try it, but make sure you can get your money back or sell it if it doesn't work for you.
Ok. I will update this thread with my findings whenever I get one. I believe the Curious cables have a 30day money back but I will double check with them as well.

I am using 16 foot long Belkin Pro Series #F3U133Q16GLDAP cables and this thing sounds fantastic!!!

Is anyone using the TotalDac D1 USB cable with the DS? Was wondering about the nature of the cable compared to a Cardas Clear High Speed which I am currently using.

Got several Furutech cables in my system. So I tried the Formula 2 USB cable, the 2-footer and can’t say it has improved at all. In fact I think I’m gonna go back to either my previous Chord Company or even the NuForce -especially the former sounded a tad less “digital” to me.

mvitovsky said Dear all,

I gave my Silnote USB cable to my friend, who has PWD MKII unit. At him it plays OK without any pops.

You know, I dont have as much time to run though all threads here. Can anybody again explaun to me, why with PCM unit it works nad with DS not? It must be a SW problem! USB driver or ASIO, so what??

Thank you for your reply.

Milan

I found this thread when I started to solve my new problem with USB cable, Silnote Poseidon. I am this friend who took the cable from Milan!

I used this combination for 2 years without any problem in configuration with Asus motherboard. Until I changed audio PC for new one! With MSI motherboard this cable is completely out of work, no sound, foobar said Couldnot create audio buffer. Changing to Audioquest Cinammon or cheap Belkin, it works. There is some other problem… I will continue to read until today´s replies, maybe I will find solution…

Regards Franta

my bridgeII is in repair so I’m waiting its retrurn and i try PC-USB.

After compare some usb cables (wich worked all) i choosed the aqvox usb cable for many qualities, especially dynamics détails and ease.

(important : i use jplaystreamer which drive the dsd in ks mode wich have great effect on the usb sounding)

How about this one for I2s between the DMP and the DS (regarding jitter, ground loop, latency, pin-out, etc.):

Fiberoptic HDMI

Frode said How about this one for I2s between the DMP and the DS (regarding jitter, ground loop, latency, pin-out, etc.):

Fiberoptic HDMI

It looks intriguing. Since it’s HDMI “High Speed Certified” I suspect that the signals needed will be passed, but I’m not sure that their use of the embedded I2C handshaking (for ARC and other things) won’t confuse PS Audio gear about, say, whether deemphais is being used or mess with the transport/DS handshake allowing raw DSD to be sent. The other thing that might matter is that it draws 100mA of current at both the sending and the receiving HDMI connectors. PS Audio products that I know of have that current available but I don’t know about other sources. One would hope it doesn’t have an embedded switching DC to DC converter which could add noise.

[nested quotes deleted]
Thanks, Ted.

Let’s hope someone in this community have the balls to try it!

Hi All,

I got about 5 pages in & I’ve not read that much info on Ethernet cables used with the Bridge? I apprecoate the title is USB cables but can anyone point me in the right direction in regards to a any diff in SQ across standard Cat5, 6 & 7 cables Vs “audiophile” ethernet cables?

It will most likely be attached to my DSJ via a optical media converter.

Cheers

Matt

mattjtaylor2809 said I got about 5 pages in & I've not read that much info on Ethernet cables used with the Bridge?
That is because this thread is about USB cables. :)

Ethernet cabling has been discussed many times. Click, here for a bunch of threads.

My bad!

Thanks for the link

Hi

Late to this thread, but have been at a comparison of USB cables:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/84581-curious-usb-cable/

The Curios beat the lot…

It wasn’t on the Direct Stream that I head it, but the later one done by Mike I am pretty sure was. He most certainly uses it in his reference system that has the Direct Stream. Of course you have to take into account Mike is a dealer so is likely biased. Lately he also makes them, but that happened much later than this comparison.

BTW I see others have recommended it as well.

Thanks

Bill

Initially I used a Straightwire USBF Filtered USB cable, which was acceptably good to my ears. Upgraded to the AQ Diamond, which I’m very pleased with. Increased resolution and greater detail allowed while still remaining very natural in the overall presentation with the AQ.

Thanks and welcome to the forum ludimagis!

A belated reply on an old thread but I just wanted to agree with a previous post and give a big thumbs up to the Curious Cable from good old Australia. This is a cable that can dig up detail and also not sound glarey at the same time. I’ve tried a lot of USB cables from cheap to quite expensive and the Curious beat them all. And in the high-end scheme of things it’s not stupidly expensive.