USB cables that work, or don't, with DS

Do you think the 250 hours helped the Direct Stream?

No, my DirectStream and Curious Cable have thousands of hours on them. My DirecStream itself has over 4 years of extensive play, (or however long ago the DirectStream was first for sale). It was fully broken in many years ago.

This was a very long thread.

I dont know if somebody, had said, but there is also supra usb cable.

I replaced a generic USP cable from my laptop into th DS with a Shunyata Venom & it was much better sounding. I’ve been using it for 2 months now without a hiccup. It has the USB symbol on the connector, which I believe means it conforms with USB standards.

1 Like

Shunyata’s USB cables are walking on everything else out there. There’s a review of the Venom ($99 right now) on AA that states it walks all over the AQ Diamond USB which has been many folks reference for a while. The Alpha is on another planet compared to others, and the Sigma is universally the best there is. FWIW, I don’t use USB connections except to my burner for discs. I’d obtain a Venom at least from what I have been reading about it. For $99 you can’t go wrong.

1 Like

My experience is very different. I had a Shunyata Venom for over six months and was never that thrilled with it. After trying a few other USB cables including a couple of Audioquest and Wireworld, I settled on a JCAT Reference USB and couldn’t be happier. The Venom was sort of just there, wasn’t bad but didn’t have the detail or transparency. Nothing against the cable, it just wasn’t for me.

So, what’s the consensus on Top 10-no particular order-USB cables for Directstream DAC? Thanks

I have noticed some very high end USB cables have 24/28 AWG conductors in Polyethylene dielectric. However are solid OCC silver. Does construction really matter or how it sounds? since I think it sounds great!

I have an active USB cable from my Mac Mini to my DS DAC. Worked fine until the other day. The DS DAC recognizes the input (green light) and the Mac recognizes the output device on the audio drop-down. However, no sound is coming through. My DS DAC is fixed volume at 100, and the Mac controls the output. Have tried changing cables to no avail. No data going to the DS DAC. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 12.57.43

If you have a “regular” USB cable try it as an experiment. If it works, you’ll need a USB certified cable. If a cable isn’t certified, it can work for a long time but it’s sensitive to software or hardware changes, or even temperature changes if it’s too long.

You can check the data integrity of the USB connection by running the bitperfect test

Just tested on a Windows laptop and no sound is going to the DAC. Two different cables, two different computers. What next? Is there a setting on the DS DAC? It was working just fine until four days ago…

Did you check to be sure the DAC isn’t muted?

Random ideas:

Did you try the bit perfect test? That will indicate if the bits are reliably getting to the DAC. If not the problem has to be in the DAC’s USB receiver or upstream. If the test passes, then the problem has to be mute, the volume setting, or the analog hardware.

Just in case, if the level is simply 20dB too quiet, that would be the high/low output level setting on the DAC.

If you have any other analog source you might try temporarily replacing the DAC and see if there’s any problem downstream.

You probably need to contact PS Audio service.

Yes indeed. Green button mute, green button signal.

Yeah, the PC is a loaner so that’s not a good option. It’s my Mac Mini that was working just fine and then… SNAFU, FUBAR, and TARFU…

I use Crystal HDMI cables for I2S into my DSD and love them. Pure silver and smooth as silk presentation.

I can’t answer that kind of speculative question. Tape can be very good, especially fast wide tape like some of the good masters.

2 Likes

I use Audience, Front Row USB

Can someone help me understand USB cable standards, which seem ambiguous in their naming of standards and shape of the plugs and sockets?

I want to buy a Male A to Male B USB cable to interconnect an Innuos ZENmini MK3 streamer/server to the DS DAC. The Innuos site describes the USB requirements in two statements. Under “connectivity”: USB 3.0. Under “audio outputs”: USB Audio 2.0 supporting USB Audio Class 2. PSA describes itself as a “USB 2.0 audio device”.

The source of my confusion relates to the shape of the Male B end of the cable, which looks like it need be type 2.0 on the DS DAC, not 3.0 as Innuos describes under “connectivity”. The Male A end looks the same for 2.0 and 3.0 standards (but are they really?). What’s up with that?

To complicate further, ultimately I will likely want to connect the Innuos unit to an AirLens with the same cable. Any idea whether the socket on the AirLens will accept a 2.0 Male B plug, or a 3.0 one?

An alternative approach might be to interconnect the Innuos and DS DAC (later AirLens) via an audio quality RJ45 cable.

Any suggestions?

The thing that helps is that USB 3.0 supports USB 2.0. If you have a USB 2.0 device, then it can be connected with USB 2.0 or USB 3.0. USB 3.0 cables will work between USB 2.0 devices.

The thing that is confusing is that there’s a USB Audio 3.0 which uses USB 2.0 for its connection. USB Audio xxx is different in general than USB xxx.

2 Likes