USBe Perfect vs Matrix X-SPDIF2 in improving sound quality through USB link (warning: a long reading)

The IFI Ipower is a joke. Try a Hynes LPS. That is the real deal.

1 Like

For the purpose of simplifying things, here is a question, in stead of spending the money on Matrix (good USB cable, Matrix, good LPS, good power cord for the LPS, good HDMI cable), if I use the money to buy the best USB cable (connect my Melco N1A to DS DAC), or, upgrade my Melco N1A to a better Melco having a hifi audio-purpose USB connector port to connect DS DAC), will the SQ improvement be similar to Matrx system?

The Matrix converter with just a good USB cable enhances and cleans the sound of whatever USB source you feed into it. The better your source, the better the sound.
The best sounding output from the Matrix is the I2s to the DS DAC. I use the Audience FrontRow USB cable which is one of the best I could fine. Straight from my Aurender N10 with this cable, to the DS USB input, it sounds fabulous, but adding the Matrix and with a so so HDMI cable to the DS I2s input makes the sound a little cleaner and clearer. Putting in a better HDMI cable increases the performance. The better the cable, the better the sound. Adding the better power supply will make the sound even better, depending on the quality of the supply. In the end, it is quite a transformation from just using a good USB cable to the DS. I also tried from my modified Mac Mini and it is also much better, but not to the level of the Aurender. So the the quality of the source probably makes more difference in sound, and the Matrix makes it even better.

4 Likes

How would this be better than Intona industrial 3.0 5KV+SOTM 500?