A big gap in lineup?

It would be worth clarifying the 4 ohm question with Schiit. New Record Day did run monos into 4 ohm speakers and said it worked fine.

And I misspoke before, Guttenberg ran the Aegir with the power hungry LS50’s, not the Maggie .7’s…

Guttenberg said regarding the Kef LS50s (relatively difficult load) that at low and normal volumes the Aegir sounded better than Vidar, but at high volumes Vidar was better. I think running monos in both cases but don’t quote me on that

Not much clarification needed. The amps are rated at 8 and 4 ohms stereo. That’s the same as 16 and 8 ohms mono. Any load under that and the amp is not guaranteed to not shut down.

Maybe I should simply buy a new Strata and I will get a pre-amp, amp. and streamer for $2100 with a trade of my Decco…what do you guys think of that idea? :question:

5 Likes

I would give the PS Audio team a call this week and get an idea of your trade options for consideration.

Y’know, I think that is a good way forward.

The point was the The New Record Day review ran 4 ohms speakers with monos to no ill effect. Thus the Aegir will, at least some times, work with 4 ohm speakers as mono blocks. Schiit would clearly know more about this issue than any of us.

With a 30 day home trial, there’s nothing to lose. And you don’t have to send back your Decco for trade until after the trial, so you can compare DACs as well.

It really depends on the speakers. An efficient set that rarely goes below 4 ohms is probably ok. Anything else, forget it. Trust me, I spend a lot of time on various Schiit forums. Well, you know what? Don’t trust me. Email them. I’m just trying to save the OP a little time.

1 Like

Which forums are valuable for Schiit info?

The one I follow most is this (Jason Stoddard’s personal thread on Head-Fi) https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/page-4072

There is a lot of off topic stuff going on in there but it’s also THE place for Schiit info and knowledge.